Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125293 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2018, 04:00:54 pm »
New axle nut is a must every time it's removed.  Initial torque on the new nut with the wheel off the ground is ~ 65- 70 ft lb.  Then remove the wheel center cap, install the wheel and place the car on the ground and torque the axle nut to 197 ft. lb.  Do not use any lubricant or anti-seize on the axle threads. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2018, 04:05:04 pm »
Upon pulling the axle that had slung green goo all over, we found not one single tear.  The boot looked perfect.  We did find the source of the leak.

Oddly, it's under the band, right there the clasp is for the ring seal.

We had ordered another axle, but whatever arrived is totally the wrong part.  The shaft is shorter, has splines of a different width, and certainly the number of splines is different.  Also, the ends are different.  I hope we can find the right part locally today.

From where did you get the wrong axle?
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »
The axle was ordered from O'Reilly's, the same as the one with the boot issue.

When we pulled the axle, should fluid have come out of the transmission?

That wasn't fun, off and on with the axle several times.  Everything is tight.  This last run, no issues, and I pushed it a bit.

We, um, didn't replace the axle nut.  Hope that doesn't cause issues down the road.  We'd have had to have a pile of nuts.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2018, 08:39:56 pm »
The engine is running rich (think 17 MPG).  The idle is set to 700 RPM, and fights to get down there, but then bobs back up.  In TunerPro, it shows that it's actually running around 832 RPM, but the gauge shows 900 RPM.  The needle just wobbles a bit, and the idle isn't smooth, but part of that is that it's running rich.

The power socket and light have no power.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:54 pm »
Get a new axle nut.  Yes it can cause issues down the road.  And it's not unusual for fluid to spill when the axle is removed.

Sra you sure that your tranny upgrade uses a stock Fiero axle?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2018, 07:24:45 am »
The axles are from a Pontiac 6000 with light duty brakes.  I'd have to look up the year.

Fluid didn't spill, although we expected it to.

What happens, if I don't replace the nut?  I'll have to do it when I get home.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2018, 07:47:48 am »
The nut won't hold torque on the hub and eventually the bearings will fail, or maybe worse.  Always follow the two step torquing procedure.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:09 am »
Progress!  I got most of my old parts back, although we can't find the second RKE unit or the under dash courtesy lights.

The check engine light issue was a connection on the circuit board.  I don't know why the power adapter wasn't working.  Maybe a bad connection.  The LED by the power adapter was in backwards.

We fixed the shift issue by adjusting the TV cable.

Just finished giving the engine a seafoam treatment through the intake to clean up the carbon.

The RKE is working now, but I'll probably have to replace the module.

We tried the cruise with a module I brought.  No change.  Probably need the AR module from a V8.

After the engine cools off, we'll check for exhaust leaks.

No check engine codes.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:53:06 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2018, 01:33:26 pm »
The issue with the vacuum hose going to the modulator on the transmission ended up being the hose itself.  We replaced it with a heavy-duty hose, and it stays put.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »
We cannot find any fluid leaks.  No drops, nothing on the car.  Washed and drove for 85 miles.  Still no leaks.  Transmission fluid was again a quart low.  Maybe the converter wasn't full.  In any case, it shifts fine, and runs great.

New problem.  After about 60 miles, the service engine light came on.  I put the computer on it, and it shows EGR issue.  I looked at the EGR, and the Fiero cable to the transmission had gotten jammed in the EGR, probably when the EGR was removed so we could drill out the bolts on the rear manifold flange.  The cable still works, but it's toast.  So, I've got to source that cable, whatever it's called.  Darn.

I'll add the missing bolt to the coolant crossover tube tomorrow.  I got all the fasteners in place on the top of the radiator.  I blew out all the little wire ends and other debris.

I don't know if the EGR solenoid itself is bad.  I've been told it is, but I don't believe so.  I think that there was a gap caused by that cable being in there, and that caused a code to be set.  I did clear the computer, and the code came up again.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2018, 09:19:49 pm »
There are hoses in the area of the driver side rear wheel well that carry trans fluid. The clamps can be loose enough to leak fluid when the car is running, and the fluid is under pressure. But they may not leak when it is not running.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:32 pm »
Well, I've put about 150 miles on it. Then parked on clean concrete, and got no drips.  There is no fluid on the underside of the car.  I have no idea where that fluid went.  It was leaking, at one point, at my house.  Since then, the valve cover leaks, oil cap leak, and a few other leaks were fixed.  It's possible that the transmission wasn't full, and that all those leaks were from the engine oil.

There was also a puddle under the front of the car, at home, but not here.  I couldn't reproduce any leaks at this time.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:59 am »
Well, I've put about 150 miles on it. Then parked on clean concrete, and got no drips.  There is no fluid on the underside of the car.  I have no idea where that fluid went.  It was leaking, at one point, at my house.  Since then, the valve cover leaks, oil cap leak, and a few other leaks were fixed.  It's possible that the transmission wasn't full, and that all those leaks were from the engine oil.

There was also a puddle under the front of the car, at home, but not here.  I couldn't reproduce any leaks at this time.

If it's like a helicopter, if it ain't leaking...its empty. :o
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2018, 08:38:12 am »
Well, it sat on a clean concrete floor, last night.  I'll check it in a bit, but I hope everything is dry.  I put it away hot and full of fluids, last night.

Today (shortly), I'll be loading it up to take it home.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
I assume that you know, when you check auto trans fluid, it should be done right after driving the car for a while. The fluid should be warm, and the transmission should have been through some gears.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.