Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Looking for replacement vehicle(s)  (Read 13749 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Looking for replacement vehicle(s)
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:32:30 am »
My truck has over 300,000 miles, and is 16 years old.  The plan was to replace the truck several years ago, but nothing suitable came up.  New trucks were terrible.  Newer trucks were in worse condition.  So, another 100,000 miles went by, and I'm still looking.

I need to have a truck, because I don't want to have to borrow or rent a truck every week.  I also use my truck to pull a trailer, and one ATV commonly rides in the bed.  I also haul stuff in the bed, usually every week.  Seating for 5 is mandatory.  My truck needs to be able to go wherever without falling apart.  Currently, my truck only gets about 18 MPG, which means that I spend about $400/month on gas at $2.35/gal.  The running boards are a must.

Since it seems unlikely that one vehicle can replace my truck, I'm considering adding a fuel-efficient vehicle.
 This wouldn't replace my truck, but could be driven several days a week as an A to B vehicle. 

I've considered the Volt, now that some of the original issues have been resolved.  Today, I read an ad for a Volt.  They claim that the best part is the off-the-line acceleration.  Hmmm.  Having driven a Volt, I would describe the -off-the-lune acceleration as "slow".  Supposedly, it manages 0-60 in a familiar 7.8 seconds.    Maybe going downhill, with no occupants and a tail wind.  Unfortunately, much of the Volt is cheaply made.  5 people in a Volt is far from comfortable.  The center console annoys the heck out of me.  And it's FWD.

Someone suggested a Mini, but it doesn't seat 5, and I dislike the dash or FWD.

Ideally, I want something that meets the following criteria:
1. Rear-wheel drive
2. Quality built
3. Comfortably seats 5
4. Good MPG
5. Is in good condition, low miles, recent model
6. Fast enough to get out of its own way
7. Minimal electronic nannies
8. A dash that shows useful information--not a bunch of animated graphics
9. Controls are placed for function
10. The driver's seat should allow room for my legs, still have my head in front of the B pillar, and the controls should be where my hands are
11. I should be able to get in and out without hitting my head
12. The car should not fall apart while driving
13. The door, window, and roof seals should not leak
14. The HVAC system should be able to heat/cool both the front and rear of the cab equally
15. The steering wheel should be centered on the driver's seat
16. The vehicle should not make any annoying noises
17. The vehicle should be low-maintenance, and not require a shop for repairs
18. 2 airbags is plenty
19. No low-jack, remote control, or tracking
20. The key should go in the ignition
21. Has fog lights

If a truck, it must also meet these criteria:
1. Running boards
2. Can hold/haul 1,500 pounds of stuff in the bed
3. The bed will hold a full-size ATV, or 20 4'x8' sheets of sheetrock
4. Has towing package, and can safely pull a loaded dual-axle trailer through the mountains
5. Can be used off-road
6. Has a good ride

Any ideas on make/model?