Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Club's Formula Fastback  (Read 62061 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Club's Formula Fastback
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:04 pm »
Mike has a buyer waiting for it.  Sarge has to set a price and the board approve it and out the door it goes as is.  It could probably fetch $2500 in my opinion.  As is.  Club members or potential club members could get it for less.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:37 pm »
  So a 300 dollar Macco paint job / we do the prep/ and another maybe 500 for pretty things aka Seat covers. and some details then put it up at 7500 take 5. Do Not Undersell it. there are likely less than Half Produced still Left.
 In 1970 you could buy a Cobra for 2500 bucks and now you can't get one for 100,000,  Not that they are akin to each Other but they are a Limited Production Sports Car. Like Land They aren't making any more.
  Because of just that I wish I could Buy all the Less expensive ones out there, in the last year I have seen a Dozen Complete cars for 100 to 750 .  Now being a Complete Noobie in the club I know Nothing about Finance of the Club and with the Size of our club I think Money can be an issue. If Mike has someone lined up are they a Mechanic or would they Like a Finished Car.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2018, 09:41:45 pm »
  So a 300 dollar Macco paint job / we do the prep/ and another maybe 500 for pretty things aka Seat covers. and some details then put it up at 7500 take 5. Do Not Undersell it. there are likely less than Half Produced still Left.
 In 1970 you could buy a Cobra for 2500 bucks and now you can't get one for 100,000,  Not that they are akin to each Other but they are a Limited Production Sports Car. Like Land They aren't making any more.
  Because of just that I wish I could Buy all the Less expensive ones out there, in the last year I have seen a Dozen Complete cars for 100 to 750 .  Now being a Complete Noobie in the club I know Nothing about Finance of the Club and with the Size of our club I think Money can be an issue. If Mike has someone lined up are they a Mechanic or would they Like a Finished Car.

I don't think that it would ever sell for $7500. Fiero people are notoriously frugal, unless it's something really special.
I think Charlie's assessment is probably very close to right on the money.
I wouldn't put a Maaco job on it, if it were me. From what I've seen/heard about Maaco jobs, I think it would be detrimental. I'd rather buy it "as is", take my time, and put a "pro" paint job on it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2018, 10:06:43 pm »
Agreed.  The new owner can have a car whatever color they desire.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2018, 08:42:20 am »
 My Choice of Paint Shop's Won't allow you to Drop Off a Car For Macco Money So I Said that,  I can use the Word Frugal But to Mean Cautious /Careful Of ,In this Case Money. This is maybe the Most Under Priced Collector Car Out There,  I don't know the Exact % but 5000.00 today is what 1500 in 1985. Most of us Have More Than 1 Car / parts car's, I think we all Should Immediatly Double There Value Even If Just In Our Heads, Every day there are Fewer of them.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2018, 09:15:01 am »
I believe Mike said the guy owns a wrecker service, so he probably has mechanical ability.  It's a Father/Son car, so it might be good that it needs a little work. 

We still haven't identified the base engine.  It's not a 3.4 block.  If I remember correctly, the casting number on the side of the block was "295", but I can't find anything that would assign that number to a GM V6. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:38 am »
We still haven't identified the base engine.  It's not a 3.4 block.  If I remember correctly, the casting number on the side of the block was "295", but I can't find anything that would assign that number to a GM V6.

I talked with John Willhoff, a couple of weeks ago. He also remembers it as having been a 2.8. Bored/stroked out to 3.4.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:09 am »
 For me spending money to make a 2.8 a 3.4 is not the way I would do it. check the Heads for a part number. Iron Or Alum.? I really didn't look as it was in the Air. I know the Block is Iron. I think  early B O P C every thing is iron  later V6 is an Aluminum Block and Buick had alumnum Heads w Iron Block.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:40 am »
I think Dave built this car in the early 90's, before the 3.4 came out.  He said he thought he built it off a 3.1, FWD van engine because of the thicker cylinder walls that would allow .060 overbore. 

Probably what we'll need to do is check out casting numbers on the block when we change oil and fuel filter.  We do know that it's running 3800 injectors, which probably are from the early 90's Gen. 1 lower HP engines and it seems to run well on them. 

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2018, 01:59:10 pm »
The Club Can Not Afford To Have It Painted

Agreed.  The new owner can have a car whatever color they desire.
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2018, 04:12:55 pm »
For me spending money to make a 2.8 a 3.4 is not the way I would do it. check the Heads for a part number. Iron Or Alum.? I really didn't look as it was in the Air. I know the Block is Iron. I think  early B O P C every thing is iron  later V6 is an Aluminum Block and Buick had alumnum Heads w Iron Block.

The heads are iron. Same as the Fiero's. (Which, coincidentally, are the same as the Camarobird 3.4.) Everything about the engine looks "stock Fiero".

The first time I saw this car was in 2000 or so.
The engine was done similarly to the way ARI does their 3.4 stroker kit.
http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm2834stkr.html
and
 http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/V6answers.html

Edit - Boring/stroking a 2.8 to a 3.4 wouldn't be my first choice, either. I think there are too many compromises built in. (For example... the cylinders are so thin, that there's NO room left for a rebuild/overbore.)
But remember... This was done before people felt comfortable changing ECMs, and installing DIS, and all the other "magical" things that can be done, nowadays. A whole 3400/3500/3800 powertrain swap is almost a commonplace thing, these days.
Heck... I spent a small fortune building up an engine that started out as a 3.4. It went like hell, for what it was, but it was way down, in the "bang for the buck" department. I wouldn't do it again. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:22:01 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »
Has the funky side scoop been removed?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:50 pm »
We removed all but the top of 4  bolts while it was on the rack, just before we left.  The last will require removing the fender liner to access, but it looked like thefe was no mods done to the original panel to make it fit.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2018, 06:07:30 pm »
I'm curious about the MK II Formula decal.  What was the meaning of that?  The MK designation was used by Ford and some sportscars, I believe.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:16 pm »
It was just that it started out as a Formula, but was taken to the next level. (Primarily with the fastback roof, but there was other stuff, too.)

I have often thought that the Formula should have been a fastback, without the aero bodywork, but including the base (and Formula) bumper covers. 
It's become kind of a popular mod. Dave did it with this car. I did it with mine. Quite a few others have done it. Many more cars like this, than fastbacks with bumperpads. Although those look cool, too.