Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Time for the Chevy Fiero!  (Read 15373 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Time for the Chevy Fiero!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:22:19 pm »
Like some on PFF, the only thing I disagree with is putting it under the control of Chevrolet.  The car would never see any real potential due to the threat of taking sales from the Corvette.  It would probably be restricted to one of the smaller engines. 

Put it under the banner of the GMC brand.  GMC has been closely associated with Pontiac, at one time sharing the same chassis with the Pontiac Pickup Truck prototype of the mid to late 50's.  I don't know if any of them ever got to market, though. 

In those days GMC was basically a beefed up Chevy truck.  The whole truck was stronger, including the engine and drive train, while still retaining the same general appearance as the Chevy truck.  I think GMC could easily produce an inexpensive Fiero-esque sports car with periodic engine upgrades with less intervention by Chevrolet. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:45:24 pm »

Chevy would be OK with me.  Even a Chevy Fiero is better than no Fiero.

I'd like to see styling cues indicating the link to Pontiac.  Maybe a huge, raised arrowhead on the hood or deck or both.  Red guages, etc.

A ~200HP engine would be fine.  Doesn't need a V8.  This is an intro sports car.  One for that college grad without a family, who can then move to a Camaro, and eventually a Corvette.   Basically, a sports car line-up for the newbie, the family guy/gal, and the empty nesters.

A convertible option is required. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »
Thinking about it, maybe Buick would be best.  They already have plants tooled for cars, they have background in producùng very powerful V6's like the Grand National and current LeSabre.  It would probably have a little better interior trim, therefore raising the price.  Higher price would reap equal profit of a Chevy but would make sales volume less a threat to the Corvette.

Like the Camaro and Firebird or Trans Am.  Almost identical but entirely different market.  Neal Boortz often referred to the Camaro as a Redneck Sports Car.  I never heard him call the Firebird or Trans Am that.  A Chevy Fiero would be cheap by comparison. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:23:04 am »
A bit of a tangent, but when they first announced that the mid engine Corvette was going to happen, a bunch of wags talked about buying one and rebadging it as a Fiero. :D  (This was actually somewhere other than Pennocks. Don't remember where, though.)

But yeah... I'd like to see it. Road and Track even suggested the DOHC 3.6 that's in the Camaro and some of the FWD cars.
It would have to be much cheaper, and hopefully smaller than a Corvette. (I drove a C5. While it was fast, it certainly didn't feel like a small car. Can't comment about the later ones.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:27:21 am by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:37:40 am »
I think a Buick version would be great, but probably a bit pricey.  Buick has an image to maintain.  They made a nice turbo engine that was in a Fiero I briefly owned.  Very fast.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 02:49:42 pm »
Pricing and better appointments was why I think Buick would be best.  The higher price would discourage people like us that want a cheap Corvette.  Well, like us when the Fiero was being produced.  Most people nowadays that have Fieros are a little better suited to afford better, thus the upgrades that have come along. 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »

Now MSN is reporting on the MR2 http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/a-new-toyota-mr2-we-want-to-believe/ar-AAo4MEQ?li=BBnb4R5

Everything old is new again...