Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Allstate Insurance  (Read 14299 times)

MikeMac

• View Profile
Allstate Insurance
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:59:17 am »
Does anyone have Allstate Insurance? I'm looking to insure my house and cars. There are half what I'm paying now for the Homeowners policy and about the same on the cars with Geico. I've heard some bad things about getting claims paid. There have been 2 news stories on WSB TV just in the last few months. Thanks

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Allstate Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 12:10:21 pm »
I was with Allstate for almost 40 years.  They jacked my rates up by 23% and I had no claims.  House, boat and multiple cars.  I went to Travelers and saved money but it was a big mistake.  I was allowed to have only 3 cars on a policy and the 86 cost me 3 times the rate as the 87.

I changed to Farmers and saved considerably on the house and cars and increased my coverage to boot.  I've heard Farmers is a bit difficult when it comes to paying a claim, but I have no personal knowledge of that.  My agent is Dan Cochran in Canton.  I don't know why I was assigned to them as opposed to the two right here within 5 miles of me, but I like them. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:40 pm »
Just... don't.
We have some good friends who have Allstate. They also have a house covered with those (substandard) Atlas Chalet shingles that you probably hear about on the radio.
Allstate won't pay to have them replaced. Only to get any damaged ones replaced/repaired. Even though there are a lot of them.
We have State Farm, and they paid for us to have an entire 20 Y.O. roof replaced, with a bit of storm/hail damage.
We have Farmers at the place in Roopville. I can't comment on them, yet. They seemed to do okay by Tammy's folks, though. (I believe that it was Farmers who paid to have her CTS repaired when they got broad-sided by an uninsured driver.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:44:16 pm by Raydar »

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 05:17:32 pm »
When we first moved to Georgia back in 1984 we went with State Farm for house and cars.   Seemed OK but the rates kept going up.  Finally when I join AARP and say they had Hartford cars I found that they were a lot cheaper since I had 3 cars and one of those was not driven much.  I have not had any with claims with the Hartford.  But then I realized if you go with the biggest insured that mean that the have a lot of people.  So when there are hurricanes and tornado that mean they have a lot to pay out.  And they dont like to do that,  so they have to get the money back.  So they more they pay out the higher the rate go up.  I went with All State for the lake house and the one here and they were cheaper.  Again I have not had any damage done to the house.......  But I never regretted leaving State Farm....

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 05:28:50 pm »
Interesting.  I had Allstate for more than 20 years.  Left them maybe 25 years ago.  When my daughter was little, I was hit by a teenager.  He almost totaled my vehicle, but my daughter was in the back seat.  He was uninsured, had no license, and was wanted by the police...who let him go.  Anyway, Allstate wrote me a check for $160K to repair my vehicle.  I used the check to pay off the vehicle, and dropped full coverage insurance, because I felt they ripped me off.  Allstate dropped me.  I repaired the vehicle enough to be driveable, and sold it.

I have had Farmers.  Changed to Travelers.

I have bern hit by people who had State Farm.  They had my vehicle evaluated, repaired, I got a loaner vehicle, and there was an additional check.  I had had a good impression of them.  No complaints from this end.

By contrast, if you ever get hit by anyone insured by Midwest Sewing. You will be given the shaft.  They will use every resource at their disposal not to pay.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:42:30 pm »
...Allstate wrote me a check for $160K to repair my vehicle.

I hope that was a typo.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 06:05:35 pm »
I was a dumb kid, and bought an expensive vehicle.  Like I typed, almost totaled.  Allstate was not happy with me.  The thing was, that would not cover the cost to have the vehicle repaired, so, they wrote me a check.  The only way out of my predicament was to pay off my vehicle.  I lost my down payment, all my loan payments, and all the money for fixing the vehicle.  I think I got $17K for it, which was enough to buy a different vehicle.  I then was hit in that vehicle by someone who had Midwest Sewing, and lost that.  The vehicle I got to replace that was rear-ended by some uninsured idiot in a honda.  Maybe those last 2 vehicles were reversed.  My insurance co went after the honda guy's girlfriend (who owned the honda).  I got to drive a TA for 6 months, while they tried to repair my Formula.  Ultimately, I sold the Formula, and got a Saturn.

For those keeping track, that progression of vehicles cost me a fortune.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 06:51:34 pm »
I was a dumb kid, and bought an expensive vehicle.  Like I typed, almost totaled.  Allstate was not happy with me.  The thing was, that would not cover the cost to have the vehicle repaired, so, they wrote me a check.  The only way out of my predicament was to pay off my vehicle.  I lost my down payment, all my loan payments, and all the money for fixing the vehicle.  I think I got $17K for it, which was enough to buy a different vehicle.  I then was hit in that vehicle by someone who had Midwest Sewing, and lost that.  The vehicle I got to replace that was rear-ended by some uninsured idiot in a honda.  Maybe those last 2 vehicles were reversed.  My insurance co went after the honda guy's girlfriend (who owned the honda).  I got to drive a TA for 6 months, while they tried to repair my Formula.  Ultimately, I sold the Formula, and got a Saturn.

For those keeping track, that progression of vehicles cost me a fortune.

Sounds like you need to be covered in bubblewrap before you leave the house

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:16:53 pm »
Like DeShoe referred to, when Allstate jacked my rates by 23%, it was because they suffered huge losses to storms in other areas of the country.  That was Insurance Commissioner Oxendine's words, not my speculation. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:40:20 pm »
Make that 25 years since I left more like 10, because that daughter is not yet 11.  Surely seems longer.  I guess I was with Allstate for longer.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 07:43:13 pm »
Like DeShoe referred to, when Allstate jacked my rates by 23%, it was because they suffered huge losses to storms in other areas of the country.  That was Insurance Commissioner Oxendine's words, not my speculation.

It is sad.  You pay for insurance.  The insurance co has no problem taking your money.  They make huge profits.  When it comes time for them to pay, they jack everyone's rates.

In CA, the insurance companies refused to pay.  They declared bankruptcy, and the "insured" got screwed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:02:56 pm by GTRS Fiero »

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:01:32 pm »
I'm going to go with Travelers Insurance for the house. Geico has a deal were they can write homeowners thru travelers and I get discounts as if I had all insurance under the same company. Thanks for the replies.