Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 15069 times)

MikeMac

• View Profile
Coronavirus
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:01:53 pm »
How about a serious discussion on the virus. I do believe that the press may be blowing it out of proportion. We've all seen the comparisons to the other viruses and the memes with numbers. When the NBA called off games for the foreseeable future and the NCAA announced the Final Four would be played without spectators I reconsidered whether this was more serious than I first thought. The economic impact to Atlanta over the Final Four is 100 million dollars. Canceling these games and festivals is costing millions in lost revenue. Not all of these entities are in cahoots to make Trump look bad.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:36:31 pm »
The retirement account Melanie left to me as the beneficiary has been doing extremely well since Trump was elected.  Monthly returns as high as +17% with a 2019 yearly return of 12.41%.  This year began with positive returns, but in the last month, all of the gains for last year have been wiped out, plus some.  The stock market is in a Bear Market as they describe it.  Practically everyone is feeling this in a financial way.  If not in their investments, in loss of work due to isolation and companies and functions closing through an abundance of caution. 

There are all kinds of things posted about viruses suddenly appearing every year there is an election.  They show every 2 years.  That has already been debunked.  I guess the underlying insinuation is that this is some kind of conspiracy to affect the elections.  If it was a conspiracy to affect our elections, why does it start in another country and affect other countries more severely than our own? 

I do think this is serious, but just how serious, I don't know.  We are so lackadaisical about hygiene that maybe this is waking some people up.  Almost any time I'm in a public restroom with other people, there people who walk out without washing their hands.  People in grocery stores that then go out and handle products in the store.  They rummage around through the meets and vegetables, inspecting just the size or quality they want.  Leaving their germs on the packaging for the next customer to come along and take home with them. 

When you have lived with a loved one who's immune system is essentially non-existent, you will wake up.  There are lots of people out there without immunity to everyday things.  Think of them.

They aren't sure just how long this Covid19 virus lives on various objects, but they just announced a moment ago that they now know it can survive in the air for as long as 3 hours.  Coughs or sneezes can travel up to 6 feet but 10 feet is considered to be on the edge.  Just assume that the germ can live on anything for a day.  When you go to the gas pump, put on a pair of old work gloves or use an old grocery bag to handle the nozzle.  Take along some grocery bags to allow you to hold your debit or credit card as you insert it into the reader and press the keys for your PIN number.  If you have to sign the digital signature thing as I did a short while ago at the drugstore, I grabbed a squirt of sanitizer, rubbed on my hands and while it was still wet, wiped down the stylus to sanitize it. 

When going to the store and using a buggy, we grab a buggy, go over to the sanitizing wipes, grab a few and wipe down the buggy handle.  Take along a sandwich baggie. Go get the wipes first, go select your buggy and wipe the handles before ever touching it.  I keep my sanitizing wipes fresh in the baggie while I'm shopping.  Reason being is that when checking out they often put your items into a different buggy.  I use those wipes to wipe the handle before touching it. 

If anyone of our group gets infected, consider the grocery delivery services or any business that will deliver.  Have them leave the merchandise at the door so the virus isn't spread further.  Use the old grocery bags to handle anything if you must sign for it.  You might look a little stupid with a grocery bag wrapped around your hand, but I'd rather see you like that than looking up at me from a coffin. 

Most of all, if you do become infected, stay in touch with us on this forum.  You are all important to all of us. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:09:29 pm »
You can get boxes of plastic gloves at places like Harbor Freight.  Its better to be safe then sorry.  Just when you consider that they say the people who are most at risk fall in our age group.  By the way I will pass on the meeting this weekend,  need to go to Peachtree City.   Have you ever thought about moving the meeting to a week day, or is the reason we do Saturday so the working people can attend?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:56 pm »
The meetings have been on Saturday  since I joined around 2000.  Probably for attendance.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 03:37:17 pm »
In hind sight I can see your point.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:49:06 pm »
Im guessing meetings had always been saturday since 1996 when the club formed.  Back then I don't think we had any retired members.  Least none I remember.   Saturdays also gave us more time to socialize and car-talk afterward.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 06:04:09 pm »
First, thank you for addressing this, Mike.

Secind, let me share a few tips: drink a bit of water, often.  Apparently, this is somehow better than saliva at flushing possible infectious molecules into your stomach, where bacteria will kill them.  Wipe down door handles, or use gloves.  Public toilets are a major source of germs.  Grocery stores are probably the worst place for germs, because sick people still get food.

Third, the meeting.  I'm not a fear monger, but everyone should consider the risk of any public meeting.  As long as there is an honest discussion, all should be OK.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »
As president of our regional chapter of the Early Ford V8 club I just canceled our upcoming board of directors meeting and am holding back decisions on the next all club meeting in April 7th to see what information is available in two weeks time.  The biggest reason was there are only four members under 50 (me included) and most are over 70, many whom already have health issues, who are the most likely to have complications from infection.  There are concerns that the Easter Parade may also be in jeopardy.

I 'm no medical or genetic expert but it looks to me that quarantining is only going to slow the inevitable. 

I'm still up for this Saturday. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:15:21 am »
I was expecting the Easter Parade to be cancelled, too.  But it's still 4 weeks away, so there's a possibility it may not.  At the present time I still have it on my schedule.  I also plan to be at the club meeting tomorrow. 

I picked up my granddaughter at school yesterday afternoon and was notified that today would be a teacher workday with no school and the school would be closed for the next two weeks.  No infections have been noted in the school, a private school, but they were doing it as a measure of caution and protection for the students and staff. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 07:31:36 pm »
The Easter Parade is an outdoor activity.  The chance for infection is much lower.

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 08:52:10 pm »
Well my job sent me home for a bit due to contact with people from affected areas. Should I come to the meeting tomorrow or stay away for the same reasons?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 09:12:20 pm »
Come on down

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 09:33:45 pm »
If you're concerned and don't have a mask or gloves, put a coffee filter over your mouth and nose and secure it with some Scotch Tape.  Wear a ZipLoc baggie on each hand.   ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 08:36:16 am »
It sounds like many folks are taking this very seriously. Regarding the Final Four... It's not just them. LOTS of things have been cancelled. Concerts. Conferences. Etc., Etc.
Some of you may have seen my post on FB. My entire group is telecommuting until further notice. It's gonna be interesting.
Lots of GA school systems are closed for the next two weeks. Some "until further notice".

I've read some anecdotal things posted from Italy. It seems that the healthcare system there is being overwhelmed. The reality of the situation, I believe, is that a large number of people are going to catch this. But if they can limit the surge if infections here, or spread them out over a longer time period (instead of hitting all at once) it will help to prevent our system from being overwhelmed. More people will be able to get help, if they need it.

Me? I'm not going to hide and isolate, but I'm not going to allow myself to be exposed any more than necessary.
(And no... I'm not going to make the meeting today. We've been packing/moving for the past two days, and aren't even half done. Y'all have fun. Somebody drink a Corona for me.  :D )

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 10:42:14 am »
You'll have to bring us the Corona.  Duluth Diner doesn't serve.