Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Torque wrench  (Read 14287 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Torque wrench
« on: January 24, 2020, 07:15:22 pm »
I picked up a loaner torque wrench.  The wrench has a handle, and 3 separate rotating pieces.  There are numbers marked, but no units.  One of the numbers goes from 100 to 600.  The next one goes from 50-80.  The final one is from 10 to 50.  This makes no sense to me.  It seems that the lowest value is 160 something.  Surely no one torques anything to 600 lb/ft with a half-inch shaft.  I'm trying to find 22 lb/ft.

Where are the wrenches that had a bar and a needle?

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Torque wrench
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:24:50 pm »
22 ftlbs? Why do you need to measure that? Thats a bit over snug with a quarter drive

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:15:49 pm »
You bring up an interesting point.  What is the difference between, say, 22lb/ft with a 1/4" drive, compared to the same torque with a 3/8" or 1/2" drive?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:20:21 pm »
Some torque wrenches are graduated in inch-pounds (I have one). And some are metric.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:27:57 pm »
Hmmm.  No interest in converting.

The one I want is apparently called a needle torque wrench.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 10:01:20 pm »
A needle torque wrench?  Never heard it called that, but it could be described that way because the indicator looks like a long needle.  It's generally called a Beam Torque Wrench. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 05:16:53 pm »
There is no difference in the measurement with different drive sizes....... What weighs more a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »
22 ftlbs? Why do you need to measure that? Thats a bit over snug with a quarter drive

The reference for a torque value is often expressed as here, "with a quarter drive".  I don't understand why the drive size is mentioned, if it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 07:16:09 am by GTRS Fiero »

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 05:26:17 pm »
it takes less effort to exert the same torque as you go up in drive sizes, each size up has bigger tools..... I mentioned quarter drive because it is the smallest...... it really doesnt take much effort to exert 22 ft-lbs of torque

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:15:23 am »
Intriguing.  Did you take a picture of said item(s)?

You need a decent quality torque wrench for 22lbft. And normally best to have the value in the middle of the torque wrenches capabilities......so 10-50lbft wrench would be a good choice.

What did you torque?  What you call needle is probably what I would call beam torque wrench.  Most useful for tightening bearings etc.  Other applications you would probably be better off with standard click and cam and especially with low torques, always pull a few times away from intended target first to exercise it..else your required 22lbft will likely be out.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 08:24:23 am »
I believe I saw Scott with a torque wrench that had a dial gauge on it.  That might be what he's calling a needle gauge.  I'm familiar with the beam type torque wrench.  I built lots of VW engines using one. 

I currently have two 'clicker' torque wrenches.  A 3/8 drive with a range of 5-80 ft lb and a 1/2 inch drive with a range up to 250 ft lb.  For anyone replacing a water pump on a Fiero, an inch pound torque wrench is also needed as 3 of the lower small bolts torque at 12 inch lb. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers