Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Engine Coolent Fan  (Read 15192 times)

aerodonamic

• View Profile
Engine Coolent Fan
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:13 pm »
The Radiater cooling fan has gone out twice in my car in a 8MO. period . Both times it took out the printed circuit  board in my heater contril panel. I don't understand way this is not protected by a FUSE!! As the motors seem to be of poorer quality,  this may be a need to put an inline fuse in the circuit for protection. If someone has dealt with problem , please share  what you have done to prevent future problems!!! Thanks,aerodon.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Coolent Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:54:14 pm »
We can measure how much current the fan pulls, and add an appropriate fuse holder and fuse. Will probably be a big one. 
I think my meter will handle it.
Is there no fan relay or anything? If there is, it shouldn't be frying the circuit boards.
I need to check my manuals.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »
What mode are you running in when it blows?  A/C, Vent, Defrost?  if it's in any mode that would energize the fan even though the temp is low, it might be in that circuit rather than in the regular fan switch circuit.  Engine compartment fan is an area that comes to mind. 

Got to get that thing fixed before the drive to the 30th. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:42:54 pm »
I forgot to mention that my low temp. switch was also fried. Had to order a new one from Rodney Dickman. all is running just fine so far. I cannot remember if the switch went out last time this happened!!!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:04 pm »
Don,
You need to check all the connections that feed the fan motor. Hot and ground.
A bad connection will cause the fan motor to draw too much current. (Hard to explain, and counter-intuitive, but true in a lot of cases.)
It's possible that that's what fried the switch, the circuit in the control head, and the motor itself.