Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Sometimes AC  (Read 30275 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes AC
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:09:46 pm »
That was what I was trying to get across to him.  Maybe I need not try to help........

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 04:54:40 pm »
All input is worthwhile.  Sometimes I need to hear the same thing from different sources.

I think that with a stock 195 thermostat and stock fan switch, 235 is the ON point for the coolant fan and somewhere around 220 or below is the OFF point, assuming the AC isn't energized.  The Defroster position also uses the AC function to remove moisture from the incoming air so it doesn't continue to fog the windshield. 

Pat, if you disconnect the harness from the compressor and insert a jumper into it, how are you energizing the AC clutch to make it circulate refrigerant?  That harness is where the clutch gets its power to lock.  Duh!  Slap on the forehead and bang my head against the wall.  I see you said Cycle Switch.  Not Clutch Switch.  But if it has R134a in it, the best thing to do is install an R134a Cycle Switch instead of trying to adjust an R12 Cycle Switch to make it work with R134a. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:16 pm »
My ECU is programmed a bit differently.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 09:33:25 pm »
That was what I was trying to get across to him.  Maybe I need not try to help........

Entirely my fault.  I have a 195-degree thermostat, and use the ECU to control the fan, rather than the stock fan switch.  The stock setup allows a very wide temperature range.  In the stock setup, when the thermosrat opens, the coolant can be at a very different temperature, which is generally bad.  My setup is intended to keep the coolant at a more consistent temperature.  It us true that, the first time the thermostat opens, the coolant will be much cooler, even with my setup; however, the coolant flow through the heater core loop on the '87-'88 will help mitigate this.

Many people run their Fieros, and report that their coolant fan rarely--if ever--comes on.  Mine comes on frequently.  Make that almost always--even with the AC off.

I hope that clears up any confusion.