Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: S10 brake booster -- I did it my way  (Read 321 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
S10 brake booster -- I did it my way
« on: June 02, 2022, 10:46:02 pm »
I put S10 brake booster on my white Fiero. I figured that since it has a stronger engine than stock, it should have stronger brakes than stock. The result is a more pleasant braking experience. But it is not "touchy" like the brakes on some new cars, which is good, because I don't like touchy brakes.
I've read some about doing this, but I decided to throw what I've read out the window, and do it my way. Rodney Dickman has some info on the swap on his site, and he mentions a couple of boosters  to buy for the swap. One is from Summit, and it costs $194.99. The other is from Speedway, and it costs $149.99. But I just searched on Amazon for "96 Chevy S10 brake booster", and found one for less than 90 bucks. So I ordered that one.
The rod that goes from the booster to the pedal, or "banjo" is much shorter on the S10 booster than on the Fiero booster. Rodney sells an extension to attach to it, but I didn't get that. Instead I cut off the "banjo hole" at the end of the S10 booster, and much of the whole banjo off the Fiero booster. Then I threaded each end where I had made the cuts and made a threaded tube so I could attach the Fiero banjo to the rod from the S10 booster.
The Fiero booster has a mounting bracket attached to it with rivets. My S10 booster had no bracket, but just 4 threaded studs at the same place where the rivets were on the Fiero booster. So I used a cutoff wheel to cuts the rivets off and transferred the bracket to the S10 booster.
As you may have read, the S10 booster is too big to fit in a Fiero unless you dent the inner fender a bit. I was thinking, from what I have read, that I would have to make quite a dent, but actually only a little dent was required.
This picture shows the new booster installed. I wish I had cut the studs on the booster to shorten them some, because they made starting the nuts holding the bracket to the car very hard. No room to work.

This picture shows where I beat a dent in the inner fender. You really can't tell from the picture how deep the dent is.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: S10 brake booster -- I did it my way
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 08:17:50 am »
Very good!
Good info for the experimenters. How did you make the threaded tube for the banjo? Did you use any sort of threadlocker?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: S10 brake booster -- I did it my way
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 02:47:28 pm »
Very good!
Good info for the experimenters. How did you make the threaded tube for the banjo? Did you use any sort of threadlocker?
The perfect thread for the banjo shafts was 9mm, so I searched Ace, Lowes, and Home Depot for anything that could be drilled and tapped at 9mm. I finally found something -- I don't know what it's called. I didn't use thread locker -- I used JB Weld. I don't intend to ever take it apart.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 08:28:25 pm by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.