Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Any advice on dropping the gas tank?  (Read 215 times)

pconnor

• View Profile
Any advice on dropping the gas tank?
« on: September 01, 2022, 10:55:41 am »
New here, I own a 1986 Fiero SE and I wanted to know if anyone had advice on the best way to drop the tank. This is my Fiero, a few different colors and not getting gas to the injectors  -

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Any advice on dropping the gas tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 03:30:32 pm »
Easy stuff fiirst.  Have you checked the Inj 1 and Inj 2 fuses?  I believe you said the fuel pump relay was clicking. 

Are you working in Don's basement?  He had a hoist rigged on an overhead beam.  TopNotch on this forum devised a very safe way to lift it.  He removed the rear bumper cover and lifted by the crash bar behind the cover.  Don't try to lift it by the trunk latch.  It can rip off and drop the car on you.  Some people jack up the front of the car and put the wheels on ramps, then lift the rear to get enough clearance.  You need to have as much gas out of it as possible because you have to drop the rear end down to pull it out and gas will pour out the filler pipes. 

Send TopNotch a private message and maybe he can detail his method of lifting.  He's done several fuel pumps. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pconnor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 03:45:29 pm »
I moved the car to my house, but I have the car raised in the back currently as shown here - The fuel pump was clicking, but I don't think it's giving enough pressure to get the gas to the injectors. None of my fuses are bad though.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 05:08:52 pm »
Have you checked the fuel pressure? You can run the pump by applying 12v to pin G of the ALDL connector. Let us know the result if you check the pressure, both with the pump running, and what the pressure does when you shut it off.
If you don't have a pressure gauge, check how much fuel sprays out of the schrader valve after running the pump briefly.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 09:12:33 pm »
If you have done the stuff that has already been posted, dropping the tank is easy, but can change depending how much fuel is in the tank.

The hardest part is getting the vent and fill hoses off. The tank itself is only held up by two straps. I usually just hold it up with myself, but you can get a floor jack with a wood block to support the tank, undo the straps, then lower it down.