Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Turn Signal Switch Repair  (Read 99 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Turn Signal Switch Repair
« on: April 04, 2023, 09:28:57 pm »
My left turn signal stopped canceling automatically, so I delved into the column, expecting it to be the cancel cam that had broken.  The Cancel Cam is the same thing that has the horn contact stem. 

The steering wheel must be removed and the lock plate must be depressed to remove the lock ring, then the plastic cover plate.  Once these are removed the cancel cam will slide out and the turn signal switch is visible. 

There are two little springs on the turn signal switch.  One toward the top, and one to the lower left.  I found that one had broken.  This was for the left turn cancel function.  Planning to replace the switch, I removed the three hold-down screws and the turn stalk screw only to find that there was a multi-wire harness attached that snakes down into the column.

Not wanting to drop the column and tear into something I know nothing about, I called ThaDriver to secure a spring from one of his parts cars.  As I was gathering my tools, I picked up a replacement Dorman cancel cam I had bought (might as well put in a new one while in there) and noticed printed inside the blister pack was a notice.  "Turn Signal Switch Springs Also Available."  That was better news than a half-price sale on Stewart Avenue (Atlanta Area Inside Joke). 

Looked up the part on Dorman, and called O'Reilly Auto Parts, they had the part in about 5 hours for $3.49.  Thought about driving down to Stewart Avenue to take advantage of the money and time I saved, but I eventually decided it was too far to drive. 

Dorman Part Number 49312  Turn Signal Cam Retainer Spring.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Signal Switch Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 06:47:36 pm »
I'm happy that you found a spring. I was thinking about tearing into my spare column, but I want to put it back in the car, at some point. Got to figure out how to fix the loose tilt/pivot.

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 11:04:23 pm »
I take it you are driving the car again then? You mentioned it had an issue in the back?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 09:26:37 am »
When I had a wobble in mine, Scott went into it while it was still in the car.  Seems he didn't have to go very far to fix it. 

I went into my first 85 back in the mid '90s and used a ball end allen wrench to tighten the 3? screws.  I put Elmers Wood Glue on them to hold them and so they could still be easily removed if ever needed.  It was still holding when Donster sold the car to WhiteAndNerdy27. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 10:48:28 am »
When I had a wobble in mine, Scott went into it while it was still in the car.  Seems he didn't have to go very far to fix it. 

I went into my first 85 back in the mid '90s and used a ball end allen wrench to tighten the 3? screws. 

Which three screws? The hub?
I know you mentioned loose nuts at the top of the struts in your 86, but that wasn't so much a wobble as a spin.  :o

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 12:10:45 pm »
Yeah, it was in the steering column. 

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 07:25:32 am »

Which three screws? The hub?
[/quote]

Check this out Steve: http://fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 10:31:02 pm »

Check this out Steve: http://fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

Ah. Okay. Although it's pretty much the same thing, this sounds a lot easier than Jazzman's procedure, that has been floating around for years.
Thanks!