Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel system  (Read 64 times)

Cdepoy84

• View Profile
Fuel system
« on: June 29, 2023, 07:50:46 am »
What is the best way to clean the efi carburetor. I've also taken of my fuel filter but don't know the part number for it. Would it be better to buy it online on the field store

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fuel system
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 08:48:08 am »
The fuel filter is a standard part available at almost all auto parts stores.  Fram has been proven to be of very poor quality with Purolator and Wix or the NAPA brand being top of the line.  Spring for the better quality ones. 

I've only owned 1 Duke Fiero and never had to clean the throttle body even though it had sat for more than 4 years when I got it.  The mistake I made was not cleaning the tank.  That mistake caused the fuel pump to fail, the fuel filter to clog, and the fuel injector to clog. And that was before I even got it on the road.

We replaced the fuel pump and filter and cleaned the horrible mess out of the tank and I assumed everything was good.  The car was hard starting, had no power, and ran very poorly.  When I noticed the injector had an erratic spray pattern or no spray at all, I removed it to clean it.  Not paying attention to how things came apart, I put a gasket or seal back in the wrong place and when I turned the ignition on it sprayed fuel everywhere.  So, if you remove the injector be sure to lay parts out in order for reassembly. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers