Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Clutch probem -- how do I tell if it's the master or slave?  (Read 104 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The problem is with my 88 duke powered t-top car. It started when I tried to drive it after it has sat a while. The clutch was very soft, and I couldn't get it into gear. The fluid in the master was low. So I topped it off, pumped the clutch a while, and it got firm and I was able to drive it. The problem has gotten worse over time, and today when I wanted to drive it, no amount of pumping would make the clutch work well enough to drive the car. The slave is a Rodney Dickman slave with dual seal piston, but it is several years old. Since his are made of aluminum, not steel or iron, I've always wondered if they would "wear out' over time. In any case, is there an easy way to tell which is bad -- the slave or master?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Clutch probem -- how do I tell if it's the master or slave?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 08:55:03 am »
I've been running a Dickman master and slave on my 87 for about 10 years without any problems.  Have you checked for leaks behind the pushrod boots on each one?  If the fluid had to be topped off, there may be a leak.  If you need the Dickman slave rebuild kit, I have one.  You might try a Toyota dealer for an 85 MR2 slave rebuild kit.  If they don't have it, you can get mine and repay me later.  I know you're in a crunch for the 40th. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 07:15:05 pm »
My V8 car was acting like that. The hard line had went bad and was letting air in but not fluid out

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 10:02:15 am »
He started to the 40th in the 3800 and had to turn back.  Found that the Duke slave was leaking.  I thought I had a Dickman repair kit but it turned out to be a used piston.  He replaced it and got a short distance from home and it failed.  There are no Toyota MR2 pistons in the state so he had to get a Uber lift to the Autozone warehouse in Lilburn to purchase a complete MR2 slave just to get the piston.  Should win the Hard Luck Award if he ever makes it to Pontiac.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers