Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 87 GT in Monroe $2800, 3800SC??  (Read 15786 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 87 GT in Monroe $2800, 3800SC??
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 09:59:39 pm »
He may be the impound company.  I thought he said he got it from the impound yard but he did know where the house was that the cars were at.  Seems strange that a Monroe impound yard would service Loganville, though Monroe is the county seat of Walton County.  I've looked at Lee's house on Google Street View and it's too well kept for the cars to have been there. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:18 pm »
I thought that Monroe was just up 78 from Loganville.

I wish I would have had the wherewithal to do something with this car. It was on the other side of the world from me, and I didn't have anywhere to keep it, here.
We're about hip-deep in moving, now. And I don't see me having enough room until late summer, at the earliest. Probably later than that.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »
I'm guessing it was impounded by the Code Enforcement authorities. He was probably warned he had too many cars and didn't take care of it so they did.

I was told I have too many vehicles.  Only 3 (sometimes 4) are parked at my residence.  I moved 1 to the civic center, 1 to city hall, 1 to the police station, 1 to my parents' house, 1 to school, and 2 to work.  3 vehicles do fit in my driveway.  I don't see the problem.  The other 2 vehicles in front of my house aren't mine.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:44 pm »
Unless I'm way off on the value I don't see anyone paying a lot of money for the car. Someone that doesn't have the back story we do might buy it thinking a starter and belt will get it running.

Was it towed to/from your lot?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »
He may be the impound company.  I thought he said he got it from the impound yard but he did know where the house was that the cars were at.  Seems strange that a Monroe impound yard would service Loganville, though Monroe is the county seat of Walton County.  I've looked at Lee's house on Google Street View and it's too well kept for the cars to have been there.

Now you have me wondering where it actually was.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2020, 10:03:32 am »
Those operations are always sketchy.  Do they even have to try and find the owner?  I assume they have to keep it something like 30 days charging a hundred a day in "storage" + a haul fee before they slap on a $3500 lien and then take possession.   If they somehow sell it for $2800 that does not satisfy the "debt" and they owe the owner nothing in return.   I bet many of the cars they grab are just true junk and crushed for a few hundred or less in scrap value.  If it sits long enough I wonder if he'd be happy getting a grand for his two hours of effort in collecting it, beats the crush value.

BTW I tried to find info on this process but it is very shrouded.  One tow yard site did state that according to Georgia Law after 30 days the car "may" be sold at auction (they hold their own onsite auction).

Fulton county (easiest to find info out from) states an abandoned car as this: It is left unattended on a public street, road, highway, or other public property for a period of at least five (5) days and when it reasonably appears to a law enforcement officer that the individual who left such motor vehicle unattended does not intend to return to such motor vehicle.  It has been left unattended on private property for a period of not less than thirty (30) days without anyone making a claim to it.

So that car looking all worn like it does if it sat unmoved 5 days on a road or 30 days on private property the police could call it abandoned and have it towed.  The tow yard does not need to contact the Owner.  The Owner has to call the police and report it missing and will then find out where they had it sent to.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 10:30:40 am »
I think the seller said they sent out registered letters.  I don't know if that was to the property owner or the vehicle owners.  He did seem to know that the owner was Chinese and his name was Fan. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 11:02:29 am »
If I didn't already have a project car, I might consider this one. But that nose would have to go. I don't like that phony Ferrari nose on Fieros at all.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 02:25:21 pm »
Unless I'm way off on the value I don't see anyone paying a lot of money for the car. Someone that doesn't have the back story we do might buy it thinking a starter and belt will get it running.

Was it towed to/from your lot?

Yes, it was towed to and from.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 02:46:56 pm »
Now that I think about it I don't know if code enforcement can actually have a vehicle removed from a property. I think they can cite and fine you and maybe even have you go before a judge if you don't comply. The owner of the property could have had the cars towed away. Maybe the house was foreclosed on and the new owners wanted them gone?

I think The Art Doctor was correct stating the vehicles are sold at auction as I have attended several. It will be interesting to see if we ever hear the full story. Either way a sad ending for the car.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 08:35:45 pm »
Did anyone ever find out what became of Fan's Fiero? Or even if he knows it's gone?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 10:24:28 pm »
Now that I think about it I don't know if code enforcement can actually have a vehicle removed from a property. I think they can cite and fine you and maybe even have you go before a judge if you don't comply. The owner of the property could have had the cars towed away. Maybe the house was foreclosed on and the new owners wanted them gone?
(Snip...........

You're right, Mike.  The enforcement officer can only take you to court.  They can't personally issue a fine.  Only an order to comply with the applicable ordinance.  The judge must make the order to remove them from the property.  The property owner has the right, also, but it has to be done through court unless the tenant has abandoned them but there's legal paperwork for that process, too.   If the defendant fails to comply, the code enforcement can bring in a tow truck to have the vehicles removed.  A tax lien is usually placed on the property for the expense of removal. 

I only spoke with the people one time.  Never followed up on the car after that because I never got a reply from Fan.   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:26:34 pm by Fierofool »