Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Candy Apple Cars Finalé - built on 88GT  (Read 14205 times)

Stroked88GT

• View Profile
Candy Apple Cars Finalé - built on 88GT
« on: August 09, 2020, 12:09:07 am »
Real, authentic CAC Finalé kit car, last known one still in existence in the USA.  Built on 88GT, still has the stock V6 and Getrag drivetrain, but the inside and out of the car is like a time capsule.  Runs, drives, and everything works like it should, even ice cold AC and the cruise control works.  Odometer shows only 78k and verified thru auto records.

What's it worth?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:14:56 am by Stroked88GT »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Apple Cars Finalé - built on 88GT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 03:28:51 am »
What makes it the last one still in existence in the USA?  There are at least 2 similar cars that show up for events in Illinois.  They seem to be Finales.  One is an odd green color.  The other is purple.  I know there was a similar kit by a shorter name, like Fino or something.

Stroked88GT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:45:18 am »
From my research, there are two different Finalé kits.  The original CAC kits came from England, have the British flag logo on the front fenders and inside the front bumper, the label from CAC with made in UK and designed by Peter Ashdown, the Formula 1 race car driver.  Peter sold the molds and designs to V8 Archie in 2001, who produced a few kits of his own label, none had the British logo nor the CAC label according to him.  He later sold the molds to FF who still have them but do not produce them.

Ed Shipp of Arizona Fiero Club built a famous one featured in Hot Rod Mag back in 2001.  Also, another guy in the NE Fiero Club (I have his name and info in notes) built one also from CAC, it later went to AZ as well and then later went on Ebay years later.  Neither of these cars are known to exist nor appear anywhere today on the net or among the Fiero community so their whereabouts are unknown.

This may not be the very last one in the USA, just the last known example that can be verified at least, and of the CAC kits, one of only 32 ever made.  Hope that clarified things.  If anyone has any other info to share, that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:30:20 am »
Good info.  I'm sure the two I mentioned are Archie kits.

For some reason, the number $17K pops into my head.  That may be a price from a previous Finale sale, or not.  V8 Archie may have an idea of worth.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:31:57 am »
The tag on the car looks to be from Georgia or Florida.  Background appears more likely Georgia.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Stroked88GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 01:26:46 pm »
Yes, car spent some time in Missouri from records search and in 2017-2019 in Florida, St Aug area.  Car is in my possession now in Georgia.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 04:42:56 pm »
OH, Hell, why didn't you say that?  Congratulations.  Close enough for Caffeine and Octane on the 6th? 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 10:39:49 pm »

Please let me know if you ever find out "What's it worth?".

Considered writing a Fiero Appreciation article on the value of well done body kits compared to normal Fieros.  Couldn't find any hard numbers, though.

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:22:26 am »
Here is a stock bodied low mile 88 GT bid up to 13K at the moment.  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-pontiac-fiero-gt-4/ I have seen that, in general, well done rebodies bring more than stock, but those were all ferrari/lambo clones.  They, IMHO, sell to folks who cant afford the real thing and would pay a premium over stock for them just to look like they can afford the real thing.  Personally, I could not drive a fake ferrari/cobra/lambo including a MERA.  Part of the reason I did not want to buy a red Fiero, looks too much like a fake ferrari.  I do not like negative attention and having to explain things to the lay folk or snotty car people who are snickering that it is a fake, fraud and phony.  But in this case it is a unique design, in someways a Kustom but not one of a kind as many were originally made.  Potential fiero buyers will either love it or hate it, and thus how much they are willing to spend falls in two categories, lower than stock (or wouldn't buy ever at any price except for parts) or higher.  Kustom car fans may be the higher paying crowd not caring that it was based on a Fiero at all but judging it by its uniqueness and dissimilarity to anything on the road today.  Truly very hard to put a price on.  Putting it on BaT and seeing what it brings is the only way to truly tell.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 11:13:50 am »
What you said about owning a Ferrari clone to present an appearance reminded me of a man we sold a Dino 246 Replica to.  It was based on a VW pan and drive train.  He said that anyone driving down the street would think it was the real thing.  It was just an appearance thing to give the image that he was a successful business man.  He was, but not successful enough to own a real one. 

I like the Finale because of it's uniqueness.  It's not a direct clone.  I can't identify any similarities to any other cars, but I'm not intimately knowledgeable of the lines of the many luxury vehicles. 

Stroked88GT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 02:25:39 am »
OH, Hell, why didn't you say that?  Congratulations.  Close enough for Caffeine and Octane on the 6th?

Unfortunately, I live 5 hours south of Atlanta, not something I'm usually able to attend.  I do attend the C&C when on Jekyll Island GA or Jax Fla.