Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: An Unfortunate Event  (Read 13798 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
An Unfortunate Event
« on: August 14, 2020, 06:06:10 pm »
A few of you long term members will remember Peter.  He had the blue 86GT with the ghost flames on the front end.  He was a good friend until alcohol took over his life. 

On Tuesday, Peter was stopped in the left turn lane of a local highway, waiting to make a turn.  He made the turn in front of a motorcycle which struck Peter's vehicle, expelling the rider over the vehicle, coming to rest further down the highway.  The rider died on the scene.

Peter has been charged with First-Degree Homicide by vehicle, driving under the influence, driving while declared a habitual violator, and failure to yield while turning left. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
Re: An Unfortunate Event
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:11:38 pm »
Sad to hear, feel sorry for the riders family

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:11:51 pm »
A series of unfortunate series of decisions that led to a tragic eventuality.

Likely, he'll never be legally allowed to drive again, if he gets out of the big house.

I do not know how to help people who turn their life over to alcohol.  No matter how many times incidents like this happen, alcoholics always claim that they are in control, and that this won't happen to them.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:47:12 pm »
... "driving while declared a habitual violator."

To me, that already implies that he didn't have a license.

Peter is/was a nice guy. (Haven't seen him in many years.)
Too bad he had to eff up like that. (Not to minimize the tragedy of the guy who hit him. May he rest in peace.)

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:57:58 pm »
Was this the same guy that was spotted on Live PD a few years back?

Terrible for the rider and his family. Motorcycles are a blast to ride but obviously offer no protection in a crash. The motorcycle guys call cars "Cagers", which I always found to be ironic.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 09:23:40 pm »
Peter was a former club member.  Not the person in the video.  A very enthusiastic Fiero owner.  He bought a black GT from Ronnie and Carolyn Fulcher.  I towed up to Robbie Finley to have a motor installed.  Peter later drove back from somewhere in Metro and because he didn't know how to maintain a vehicle, he ran it out of oil and locked down the engine.  That was the first 3.4 install I was involved with.  Grooms reman.  Mustang injectors. 

I later installed Mr. Mike's full leather covers, and secured a paint and body shop to paint the car Scion Blitz Blue.  A color he spotted across the aisle when we showed at World of Wheels. 

Custom wheels that I think we got from HNThomps and they just happened to have a center cap with the same blue as the car.  First time out after paint, we were headed to the Fiero Factory Swap Meet and at the McDonalds on Ga. 20 at I-75 North, he pulled the nose over a stop block.  He did that a numbeer of times and was constantly having the underside repaired.  Tha Driver had to replace the nose and found that the paint color wasn't actually Blitz Blue, so in order to make things work out without doing a total repaint, he put ghost flames on the nose, blending into the hood and fenders. 

Today, the car sits in his garage.  My daughter saw the accident and said it was with a big black truck, so it was his Tundra.  Thank good for the Fiero that the AC wasn't working, or he would have been in it.  Still may not have spared the life of the cyclist, though.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:04:10 pm »
If the cyclist hit the front, broken neck, depending on speed.  If hit the side, he would flip over the top.  If he survived the flip, likely OK.  One of my clients does simulation software for the highway patrol.  Before the C8 came out, there were a lot of simulations run.  I would expect similar results for the Fiero.

Having wrecked bikes in several situations, much depends on the rider's awareness, condition, and reflexes.  I sold my bike 10 or so years ago, but barely rode it for the 2 years prior to that.

Yeah, good thing Peter wasn't driving the Fiero.  We don't need bad press.  To be fair, it sounds as if he wasn't a good driver, anyway.  That having been stated, many people do not see motorcycles, and motorcyclists have a tendency to move in ways that take advantage of the mobility of their bike.

It seems to me that a person should lose their license on the first DUI, and their freedom on the second.  To be sure, some people can stop after a drink, but anyone DUI obviously cannot, and is then basically playing roulette with other people's lives.