Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel injector impedence question  (Read 16471 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel injector impedence question
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 08:40:30 am »
My elbow fit, but had small cracks.  I did not find the cracks for 3 years.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 10:26:38 pm »
I went out this afternoon and readjusted the TPS paddle.  Car idled about 2000 while warming up and on several occasions eased down to 1100.  Occasionally it would drop to 600 then kick back to 2000.  Once it got fully warmed, it dropped down to 1100 and held steady. 

Tomorrow, I plan to take it on a little extended drive up I-85.  The trunk area will be sporting a new TPS just in case.  I'll have to fill up before the trip.  121 miles on the new injectors, so I want to know what the mileage difference is on surface roads and interstate. 

Anyone between Braselton and the SC state line want to meet up for lunch?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 10:03:18 am »
https://www.throttlebodys.com/FieroTBs.htm

Not sure but this might help some. Worth thinking about. It’s only $150.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:15 am »
That would give it a little more power, but the real choker is the neck on the upper intake.  To obtain maximum advantage of the bored out throttle body, the neck needs to be enlarged.  It does little good to have a big mouth if the food won't go down the gullet. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 05:05:49 pm »
I went out for a test drive on a full tank.  Before filling up, I checked MPG and it was 22.  The first 3 miles on the interstate took 30 minutes so I got off I-85 and went over to I-985.  At Road Atlanta, I stopped and swapped out TPS's.  The car began to run better.

At about the point where I began to make my loop back down US 441 to I-85, it started to stumble a bit and the CES light came on and I could smell a very rich exhaust, especially when I stopped.  When I got off the interstate near home, I filled up again.  Checked the mileage and it was only 15 MPG.

When I got home I checked codes and I had a 21, TPS, a 34, MAP, a 44 and 45, Lean and Rich, respectively.  So, I cleared the codes and restarted the engine.  It soon set a 21, TPS, again.  Still running very rich. 

I went online to order a new TPS and compared Autozone Duralast at $81, NAPA at $69 plus shipping from Virginia, and Rock Auto at $69 delivered.  Looking at the images, NAPA is listed as Echln while RockAuto is listed as Standard.  The images shown are identical, right down to the specks of dust on them.  I sprung for the RockAuto sensor, so we'll see on Friday if it fixes it.  If not, I'll swap out the MAP for another, then final cure will be to go back to the old injectors. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 05:46:21 pm »
It would not seem that a TPS would suddenly fail, just because the injectors were changed.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 06:26:05 pm »
I agree.  The intake was carefully set aside on a work table.  Nothing was done to it or the MAP sensor.  Sandman07 had a similar experience with the TPS.  Only tnkgnr and I are having his rich condition. 

There was something strange that Scott and I encountered, and it had to be done by someone familiar with opening the deck lid without a key.  I have replaced the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor within the last year.  When we removed the distributor cap to gain some clearance, we found a wad of aluminum foil stuck on the pointer of the rotor button.  I don't know who I've made an enemy of but your sabotage effort failed because the car ran well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:30:51 pm by Fierofool »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 06:30:35 pm »
"Did you get the memo about the TPS reports?"

With the MPG you were getting, with the old injectors it wouldn't seem that you were running rich.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2021, 06:32:13 pm »
No, the old injectors were lean at Wide Open Throttle. 

Maybe my current problem is because I removed the aluminum foil.  Maybe I should put it back and see what happens. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 07:00:19 pm »
Aluminum foil?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:03 pm »
https://www.throttlebodys.com/FieroTBs.htm

Not sure but this might help some. Worth thinking about. It’s only $150.

My throttle body is bored out.  It did not seem to change anything on the butt dyno.