Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: How to Renew T-Top Seals  (Read 14592 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How to Renew T-Top Seals
« on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:33 pm »
Now that I'm stuck at home with not much to do, I'm going to tell you how I renewed my T-Top seals. No OEM parts are needed for this. (Please excuse the pollen on the other T-Top.) Note: My T-Tops are non-CJB. I'm not sure of what differences there are in CJB T-Tops.

To do this repair, you will need the following:
Precision Parts Weatherstrip Seal UWS 135-25 from JCWhitney. Direct link to the product is here.

Metro Supersoft Camper Shell seal or something similar. This will be used for "P-seals", and it's important that it have a sealed edge. I first tried making P-seals out of some kind of weatherstrip with exposed foam on the edges -- it deteriorated in the hot sun in about a year.

Black edge trim (as used on car doors, etc.).

Black RTV and flowable "runny" window seal RTV.

This picture shows where the seals and edge trim will be used.

To begin the job, park your car where it won't get rained on. This will take a while.
Remove ALL the old weatherstipping and seals, including the P-seals.
I didn't do the P-seals until after I did the weatherstrip, but it may be easier to do them first. Cut the camper shell to an appropriate width, peal off the protective paper on the adhesive side, and press it in place.
Cut one end of the weatherstip seal so that it looks like this. There is metal in the lower part, but you can cut between the metal pieces.

Press the weather strip seal into the channel by the roof opening, starting with the prepared end. This drawing shows the right way to install the weatherstrip. The prepared end needs to be glued in place with black RTV, bent as shown in the previous picture labeling the seals, and held in place with tape until the RTV dries. When you get to the other side, cut and prepare the other end and glue it in place.

When the weatherstrip is pressed into place, it will look like this from above. (And yes, I stood on my seat.)

When the RTV holding the ends is dry, apply a bead of the flowable RTV as shown in this diagram.

Press the edge trim in place as shown in the picture above labeling the seals. Put your T-Top back on, and let it rain. It shouldn't leak. You will have to push down on the T-Top to compress the new weatherstrip, in order to latch it down.
A final tip: If you live in a hot climate, coat the top of the weatherstrip with a very thin layer of powdered graphite. The weatherstrip may stick to the glass when it gets very hot in the sun.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Renew T-Top Seals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:50:41 pm »
Nice write up!  Excellent job.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:19 am »
The most amazing part to me is that J.C. Whitney is still in business.  ;D    I bet that pinch seal would work on lots of things, thanks for the effort of posting all this.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 11:43:32 am »
Very nice! Good info. Where did you cut the seals?
Edit - I see the rear cut, but not the front.

The difference between the CJB tops and the others is in the edge trim that you pictured
Yours is separate. The CJB trim is rubber, and is integrated with the rubber seal itself. It just wraps over the headliner cloth.
There are also some differences where the hatch edge/window weatherstrip meets the car weatherstrip, in the front and the rear, near the latch pins.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:47:07 am by Raydar »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:57:07 pm »
Very nice! Good info. Where did you cut the seals?
Edit - I see the rear cut, but not the front.
Both ends if the weatherstrip are cut the same way. Unless you have the uncanny ability to measure the length needed exactly, you have to install the weatherstrip starting with the prepared end, and then prepare the other end after installing it around the roof opening.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.