Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Up & down idle 88 Duke when warm  (Read 32937 times)

Donster

• View Profile
Re: Up & down idle 88 Duke when warm
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2019, 10:40:50 am »
Finding 1 mm thick galvanized steel shouldn't be a problem, but cutting it into the correct shape might pose a problem.  :-[
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2019, 03:23:48 pm »
For temporary use, I think a couple of layers of galvanized sheet metal, the kind used for HVAC ducts, would suffice, and they could be cut with tin snips. No need to make them the exact shape as long as there is steel between the coils and the ICM.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2019, 03:45:32 pm »
Would aluminum work?
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2019, 04:33:51 pm »
It must be a ferromagnetic material, i.e., steel or iron. It does not need to be galvanized. Stainless steel would do as long as it is real steel, and not the phony stuff used on some kitchen appliances (stainless refrigerators that magnets won't stick to).

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2019, 04:46:15 pm »
Higher quality stainless steel is non-magnetic because it has more nickel added to the compound.  Chromium is also used in stainless steel, but it has magnetic qualities.  Cheaper compounds will show some degree of oxidation (rust).  Most compounds that are sufficient to be labeled stainless on the lower end will have some magnetic properties and still show rust. 

In our irrigation pumps that we installed into wet wells, the impellers were brass and the shafts and couplings coming down from the motor were all of high quality non-magnetic stainless and even after 5 or more years of being submerged, they never showed any signs of oxidation.  There are different names for the types of stainless but I don't remember what they were.  Seems like there were 5 or 6 different qualities. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
I wonder what Buck knife blades are made of? They're very magnetic, but even my oldest one has no trace of rust on it. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to try to make a shield out of that kind of stainless. You'd need something pretty strong to cut it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2019, 05:59:17 pm »
It may not rust because it isn't constantly exposed to moisture.  Chrome is a strong metal and may be one of the added elements.  Heat treating and oil quenching also makes metal stronger.  In my early years out of high school, I worked at an aluminum extrusion company.  Aluminum trim and aluminum bars were put on racks and rolled into a gas-fired oven and left at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time.  When the aluminum was removed and cooled, trim strips that would easily bend prior to heat treating would droop less when held by in the middle than an untreated strip.  Heat treating increases the Rockwell Hardness. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2019, 07:26:41 pm »
My knife is constantly exposed to moisture, in the form of sweat.  The pins and case do get a bit rusty, but not the blades.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 18, 2019, 01:25:52 am »
I've got "That Todd Guy" looking to see if he has one.
If not, I will take my spare ICM to a metal work shop and have them make one from 1 mm galvanized steel. Might have them make a couple, depending on cost.
Life is good!

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 02, 2019, 08:46:26 am »
OK, shield arrived yesterday, installed today, ran the car hot. Stutters at low RPMs, idle still hunts. Stalls occasionally.
Time to get rid of it.  :-[
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2019, 10:04:54 am »
OK, shield arrived yesterday, installed today, ran the car hot. Stutters at low RPMs, idle still hunts. Stalls occasionally.
Or re-engine it.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
Or re-engine it.

Not worth the trouble. I've already invested too much time and money in it.
Life is good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 02, 2019, 06:36:10 pm »
Don't be hasty.  Looking back through all the people I've known, the people I admire most are those who think everything through, and rarely do anything without having thought it through to a conclusion, and then seeing it through to that conslusion.  Such people are the people on whom to build, people whose ideas are worth listening to and implementing.

I made a point of meeting JohnWPB, because he has persisted despite all the myriad issues with his Fiero.  While he is not necessarily a role model, I do respect what he has done in this regard.

When I was just a kid, there was an old man who ran a newspaper.  He printed the truth, whatever the truth was.  Every so often, a certain group of people would come destroy his office.  The old man rebuilt, every time.  Time and again, that old man was warned by others to not print certain things, to avoid having his office destroyed.  The old man refused to change, not because he was old, but because he saw dishonesty as being the easy way.  He said that there is no stopping someone who is right and keeps on coming.  He was told to move to another town, but refused, because he said running never fixes anything.  One night, things came to a head.  The old man was in his 80's, and working late.  The group of people had finally decided on a permanapent fix.  The office was shot to doll rags, and the old man was hurt.  I helped bury those people.  The old man was beside me with a shovel.  I asked him why.  He said it was the right thing to do.  Some years ago, that old man died in his office.  His final paper had an article titled, "The Truth Shall Set You Free".  If I could have found his gravestone, I'd have had that put on the stone.  That old man never had anything, but never compromised, and I respect him highly.

Sometimes, I think back on defining moments.  There are some I wish I could change, because I don't like to think that is who I am, but they are all a part of me.  I often wish I had that old man's conviction and steadfast spirit.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 19, 2019, 04:21:04 pm »
If I could find a blank, and one of those obsolete programmers that we used to use at work, I could copy my PROM. My duke idles perfectly.  But I don't remember if  your car is automatic or stick.

I have both a blank PROM and a programmer. And my car also idles perfectly. But mine is also a manual. Anybody have a line on the "newest" automatic 87-88 Duke BIN file?
I have the ATBW.bin file for an automatic. If I email you the file, can you burn a PROM for me?
Life is good!

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2020, 02:37:13 am »
Just an FYI:
Our hunting idle issue is gone!!
Let me write it one more time.....

OUR HUNTING IDLE ISSUE IS GONE!  ;D ;D ;D
Life is good!