Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: T-boned today!  (Read 14327 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
T-boned today!
« on: April 28, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
Sortof.

I was heading South, going about 60 MPH on a highway with a concrete divider.  A car came over the divider.  I tried to avoid it, but there wasn't anywhere to go.  The car hit me in the driver's side right after it hit the highway.  Both vehicles spun around.  There isn't much left of the other vehicle.

As the vehicles spun, I got to watch the other vehicle roll, while trying to regain control of my vehicle.  I didn't hit anything else, but time seemed to progres at different rates for our vehicles, compared to the vehicles drawing inexhorably closer.

The police, fire, and ambulance came.  The guy offered me $50 cash to cover damages, and not to report the accident to the insurance company.   $50!

He was the only person who was hurt, but 3 cars on the Northbound side were damaged.

Right in front of the police, he stated that he didn't know what happened; he opened his beer, and everyone was hitting him.  The other drivers claim that he accelerated and came left across 2 lanes of traffic.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: T-boned today!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 06:41:06 pm »

Last week my wife's car was hit in the parking lot at work.  Truck backed into it.  $2500 in damages.

$50 bucks doesn't go as far as it use to.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:31:19 pm »
What vehicle, Michael?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:43:51 pm »
My truck.  The sedan went under the left side.  I thought it was right at my door, but it seems that it was a bit behind my door.  The running board was ripped off and mangled.  My kids were very startled.  My left rear tire and wheel are damaged.  The other tires hold air, but the rubber is damaged.

I can't find any body damage.  My truck drives straight with the spare.  Everything seems tight.

I think they owe me 4 new tires of the same make and model that I have, a new wheel, an alignment, and the running board replaced and fixed, plus any other damages, and apologies to my kids.  Unfortunately, the driver is not insured, and has no license.  Tires and an alignment are about $1,200.  I donxt know about the rest.

So, he's claiming discrimination, and blaming my running board for causing excess damage.  He says I drove over him.

I'm glad it wasn't my Fiero, because that would have been the end of my Fiero run.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 09:06:46 pm »
Was The Frame Bent ?
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:19:56 pm »
In '04, I bought a shiny new F150, the only brand new vehicle I've ever had. A month later, someone t-boned it on the passenger side. Thankfully, he had insurance, and the truck came out of the body shop looking like new. I still have it, but the clear coat on some of the repaired area has flaked off. Otherwise, it still runs fine.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 09:25:30 pm »
Was The Frame Bent ?

It doesn't seem to be.  I won't know for a few days.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:38:47 pm »
I fixed (replaced) the running board.  The frame seems to be fine.  The alignment is off.  When making left turns, something is wrong.  The axle appears to be OK, but the right front has the toe out.

Considering my truck was on the right 2 wheels, then on just the right front wheel, then back to the front wheels, things don't seem to be all that bad.  Looking at the tires, I have no idea why my truck didn't roll.  I turned left, just before he hit me, then right to keep from rolling when he hit me, but he rolled under my truck, then out the back.  One person said my truck came off the ground, but I don't believe so.  I think I had at least 1 tire on the ground.  I think he was also wheels down when he hit me, but am not sure.  I thought he hit me with hit front end, but apparently he hit me with the passenger side.  Parts of my left rear tire were in his right front seat, and basically on the person in that seat.  My tailpipe is damaged.

Timing is bad.  I spent $7K on extra stuff, in April.  This will cost probably $2K to fix.  I have some expenses coming up in May and June.

I think we should have debtors' prisons.  People who don't pay for insurance should still have to pay for damages they cause.  They can go work to pay their debt and to pay their cost while being there.  It costs $44K per person, per year.  I suspect they'd be there for several years to pay off a $2K debt.   Maybe people would be more responsible.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 03:24:35 pm »
Wow! That sucks. I'm happy that y'all were/are okay.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 06:39:52 pm »
Thanks.

The frame is straight.  They want to replace the differential.  I hear nothing, and feel nothing wrong, but the axle clip was messed up, and the axle bearing was damaged.  Not the bearings, but the seal.  I told  them, if we're replacing it, we're replacing the whole thing.  They want to total my truck.  About $9K to fix, according to their estimate.  Give me the money, I'll fix it.