Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Muffler Needed  (Read 14811 times)

PK

• View Profile
Re: Muffler Needed
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 02:13:46 am »
For a Fiero? Impossible other than import and due to the size/shape that wouldn't go well!

One of the UK guys had a complete custom system made in stainless any years ago.  Wish I had done that but would have been very expensive.

I have very neatly repaired mine over the years, cat gone.

The muffler, which I guess is the bit we call a "silencer" has GM written on it so I guess is original which is quite amasing.

From FFs experience it doesn't sound so straightforward there either!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:48:48 am »
I have a spintrch muffler, and Rodney's cat.  Both went right in.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:24 am »
GTRS, there's an independent muffler shop in Lawrenceville, Ga. that surprisingly is owned by the wife of the first shop that couldn't get the second bolt removed.  They had the muffler swapped out and welded in in less than 2 hours and that included getting another car finished up.

PK, I got a good stock muffler from another Fiero.  TFS sells the Ocelot system for the Fiero, from the converter back to the tips. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 12:08:06 pm »
If mine ever fails it will probably be cheaper to get one made custom here than try to import.  It looks on good shape now though so won't worry about it for a good while.

Your experience at that first shop was a bit weird but at least they recognised it was too much for them rather than bodging it!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »
There's a company over here known as FlowMaster.  They make mufflers designed for Firebirds and Camaros that have mufflers mounted transversely like the Fiero.  The 80 series muffler is a good fit.  It doesn't have the provisions for the spring supports, but neither does the Ocelot.  It is sufficiently supported by the hanger straps on either outlet.  They're about $120 USD.  Cheaper than the Ocelot system and cheaper to ship.  They come in aluminized steel or stainless like the Fiero system. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers