Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Wanted: 88 space frame. Back 1/3.  (Read 14810 times)

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: 88 space frame. Back 1/3.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 12:40:42 pm »
TopNotch,

Does the 88 parts car you have still have a good title?  What is wrong with it mechanically?  Is that chassis restorable?  I spent a few moments crawling around it pulling the seats for NoMad and was impressed with its shape.

Before we go tearing up that chassis, my daughter is wanting to do a resto and drive a fiero as her 'second' car after a few years of driving my old suv around.  I have lots of parts (interior and engine) coming off my 88GT swap that could be used to bring it back to life.

Let me know your thoughts on this....

Mark,

I’ve got an 86 GT that has a few parts stripped off if your interest. Clean title. Engine removed. Not much missing that we can get easily.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »
You're welcome to the rear clip of the warrior car if you want to organize a stripping party to pull the rear suspension/etc.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 08:40:33 pm »
TopNotch,

Does the 88 parts car you have still have a good title?  What is wrong with it mechanically?  Is that chassis restorable?  I spent a few moments crawling around it pulling the seats for NoMad and was impressed with its shape.

Before we go tearing up that chassis, my daughter is wanting to do a resto and drive a fiero as her 'second' car after a few years of driving my old suv around.  I have lots of parts (interior and engine) coming off my 88GT swap that could be used to bring it back to life.

To be brought back to life, it would need engine, front bumper and bumper cover, headlight buckets, radiator, seats, instrument cluster, probably a steering column (although the one in might be fixable), various interior parts, wing, tail lights, rear brake calipers, and probably more.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

mweldon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 11:39:54 pm »
TopNotch,

To be brought back to life, it would need engine, front bumper and bumper cover, headlight buckets, radiator, seats, instrument cluster, probably a steering column (although the one in might be fixable), various interior parts, wing, tail lights, rear brake calipers, and probably more.

I have most everything it needs oddly enough, except tail lights, "good" calipers, and bumper/cover....hmmm...

Let me ponder it for a few days.

Is the title clean?  What's the history of the car?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 03:26:41 pm »
Is the title clean?  What's the history of the car?
The title is clean. I bought the car from a neighbor for $500, who towed it over because it didn't run. i noticed that the fuel pump didn't run so I replaced it, and actually was able to drive the car around the block, but it ran poorly. The valve train made a lot of noise, and I found that the camshaft lobes were worn off. I started working on it, but the grandkid who was going to get it moved to Colorado, so I quit and made it a parts car. The partly disassembled engine is no doubt toast after being exposed to weather. The previous owner must have blown the transmission, because it has an Isuzu transmission in it.

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 08:23:41 am »
It will need a touch of machine work, but I do have that spare LQ1 around if you wanted to use that for her car Mark.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 05:59:36 pm »
BTW, before I stopped working on the car, I had bought a stock V6 camshaft and lifters. If anyone needs those, let me know. I have no use for them now.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 08:41:02 pm »
You're welcome to the rear clip of the warrior car if you want to organize a stripping party to pull the rear suspension/etc.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Thanks, Paul.
I'm hoping that I can find one that's already been stripped. (You know what they say... "Wish in one hand... etc." :D )
How do the firewall and shock towers look, considering the fire, and etc.? I figured that any paint/coating that was there was burned off. Am I wrong? The engine compartment is really the only thing I'm interested in. Figured it would have caught the worst of the damage.
Thanks man!

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 05:33:11 pm »
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Thanks, Paul.
I'm hoping that I can find one that's already been stripped. (You know what they say... "Wish in one hand... etc." :D )
How do the firewall and shock towers look, considering the fire, and etc.? I figured that any paint/coating that was there was burned off. Am I wrong? The engine compartment is really the only thing I'm interested in. Figured it would have caught the worst of the damage.
Thanks man!

I removed a lot of leaves from it today. The trunk wall has a little surface rust, but nothing a little scuff & shoot with spray can rustoleum wouldn't preserve. It doesn't appear that the fire got past the insulation on the other surfaces.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 09:29:59 pm »
I just remembered I have another '88 (IIRC) that was a running car. It was t-boned in the right cowl - the rear clip should not be tweaked. It also still has the engine & cradle in it though, but it's stripped a little more than the warrior car.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts