Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Organization  (Read 13801 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Organization
« on: May 14, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »
Is there such a thing as being too organized?

Personally, I think that point has been reached, when the volume of space occupied by the organizers exceeds the volume of space occupied by the items being organized.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Organization
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:55:31 am »
Here's an example.

Someone built a wall organizer, using 3/4" plywood.  This organizer is about 2' deep, and takes up 1 wall.  There are about 12 sections in this organizer, all using 3/4" plywood.  Placed into those sections are large plywood boxes, also using 3/4" plywood.  The sections and boxes have 2"x4" framing.  The boxes themselves stick out almost a foot from the back of the sections, because they are deeper than the sections, and they hit the 2"x4" framing.  Much of the space in the boxes is taken up by the framing.

Inside the plywood boxes, there are various round containers, which contain items in rectangular packaging.  This leaves plenty of what I call "wasted space".  The height of the boxes allows about 2.5 containers to be stacked inside.

The boxes are labeled, as are the round containers and the packaging.  Unfortunately, the trim molding strips did not fit into the box labeled trim, so we had to look through other boxes, until we found them.  Another box was optimistically labeled "body panels", but the box was not large enough for any body panels.

We looked through the box labeled "screws, fasteners, nuts, and doohickeys".  I think those were the things NOT in that box.  We did find the bags for those things, however.  We looked through the other boxes.  Eventually, we found large round containers, helpfully labeled "large screws", "medium screws", "small screws".  These containers were about 6" in height.  The screws and things were just loose inside.  Despite the labels, there were plastic rivets, nuts, bolts, and just about every fastener you could imagine in these containers, and apparently indiscriminately distributed among the containers.  When I asked, apparently, after one container was filled up, they filled up the next container.  The packages were separate, to help us identify the items.  Not sure how that is supposed to work.  I'm fairly certain that many of the fasteners I saw do not go to a Fiero.  I was told that everything was "organized".

I will admit that I have a "junk drawer" that contains screws, bolts, springs, etc that I have accumulated over the years, but it is all used stuff.