Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Portable air pumps & jump starters  (Read 288 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Portable air pumps & jump starters
« on: February 15, 2023, 08:14:32 am »

Question: does anyone have a portable air pump & jumper and what do you think of them?  Are they worth the Fiero's trunk space?

I was looking for a portable air pump like this one for my Fiero -- $23.79 -- Digital Air Compressor for Car Auto Pump Portable Tire Inflator with LED Light DC 12V : https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Compressor-Portable-Inflator-Light/dp/B07YC12FW1/ref=asc_df_B07YC12FW1/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385644192904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11070244379918088959&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010851&hvtargid=pla-840523932405&ref=&adgrpid=77759986959&th=1

Then I went to Ft Payne, AL over the weekend where the Mustang decided it needed a new battery.  One jump later and a short drive to O'Reilly's and we were back in business.  Then I noticed gadgets like this for $139.99 -- JF.EGWO 3000Amp Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor, 150PSI Tire Inflator with Digital Screen Pressure Gauge , 24000mAh 12V Auto Battery Booster (9.0L Gas/ 8.5LDiesel Engine), 2 USB Port 2 Light. 

Question is, does anyone have something similar and what do you think of them?  Are they worth the Fiero's trunk space?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Portable air pumps & jump starters
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 09:07:31 am »
I have two air pumps.  One is a digital display and the other is analog display.  I prefer the analog pump because:

The digital display pump will bleed off pressure when it's turned off to disconnect the hose from the valve stem, so the hose must be disconnected with the pump still running.  You must also monitor the pump so it can be disconnected when reaching the desired pressure.

The analog display pump has an adjustable setting on the gauge.  It can be set to the desired pressure and when that pressure is reached, the pump automatically shuts off.  It does not bleed off the pressure if you aren't right there to disconnect the hose. 

I don't have a battery-pack jump starter, but I have used them to start cars and even run a car.  I've also used them when going to the parts yards.  I have especially found them handy to power the car to test the radio or headlight motors, provided the vehicle wiring hasn't been butchered. 

I commonly carry one of the pumps in my front compartment.  It started as a possible need when we are doing RFTH, in the event anyone might have a flat or low tire. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 01:24:00 pm »
I have carried a pump for years. It has come into use many times. Usually on someone else car. Havent carried a jump box, but with the way batteries are  these days, I may start.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 11:15:29 pm »
Because of my brakes, my spare tire doesn't fit any more. My "spare" consists of a plug kit and a compressor.
But I have been known to grab up the kit and compressor and throw it in my truck or other vehicle if I'm going on a trip.

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:40:57 pm »
Because of my brakes, my spare tire doesn't fit any more. My "spare" consists of a plug kit and a compressor.
But I have been known to grab up the kit and compressor and throw it in my truck or other vehicle if I'm going on a trip.

I have the same problem, but I just use a can of fix-a-flat (to which I have never had to use). Figured if it really came to it, I would just call a tow service.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 01:53:30 pm »
Fix-A-Flat is good for an emergency to get you off the road, but my tire guy tells me it's near impossible to patch or plug a tire if the Fix-A-Flat doesn't fully seal the puncture.  Of course, a portable air compressor wouldn't get you going if the puncture were severe, whereas Fix-A-Flat might. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 09:30:25 pm »
Fix-A-Flat is good for an emergency to get you off the road, but my tire guy tells me it's near impossible to patch or plug a tire if the Fix-A-Flat doesn't fully seal the puncture.  Of course, a portable air compressor wouldn't get you going if the puncture were severe, whereas Fix-A-Flat might.

In which case, call a tow truck. Always a option. No need to over think it.  ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 08:25:35 pm »
In which case, call a tow truck. Always a option. No need to over think it.  ;)
As long as you DON'T call AAA in Georgia. The last 2 times I tried them went like this: First time -- I called at 4 pm. Eventually I managed to fix the car enough to get it home. The tow truck showed up at 10 pm, and of course, I was gone. Second time -- This was for my friend Janice's son-in-law. His jeep had died, and AAA is supposed to let you get a tow for a friend. Hours later we wound up using a non-AAA tow service and I put in to AAA for a refund. Got it 2 months later.
However, the time I needed AAA while in South Carolina, the tow truck was prompt and courteous.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 11:18:27 pm »

Lately, I have not been impressed by AAA. 

When my Fiero died in Greensboro, GA, AAA took several hours to show up and we couldn't ride with the driver.
When our van died in Augusta, we gave up on AAA and called the place we were having the van towed to provide assistance.
When our Mustang decided not to start in Fort Payne, AL, AAA couldn't even give us a guestimate time of arrival.  Luckily, we got a jump.

Wondering why I still have AAA...  Oh yeah, the 10% AAA rate at hotels.

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 09:51:04 am »
It was a bunch of years ago that we were having our RFTH lunch at the Cornucopia in Cashiers, NC when I locked my keys in my car.  HarryT offered his AAA and called them.  This was around the noon hour.  The closest AAA they had was somewhere over in Tennessee and it would be sometime in the evening hours before they could come to unlock the car.  Though it was closed, we found that I had left the sunroof unlatched and were able to gain access. 

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 02:00:05 am »
Charlie;
That brings back memories from a long while back.  You also left your wallet in the bathroom at the Cornucopia. ::)  Have you been back there since to test your memory. :-[
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 08:12:00 am »
It was actually my checkbook that I left in the bathroom.  You may recall that I immediately called Melanie to let her know.  She reported it to the bank, they stopped payment on everything and issued a new account number.  Man, did that wreak havoc.  She had almost all our bills set up on autopay in the bank's billpay application.  Every outstanding check bounced and all our bills went past due.  Fortunately, the bank assisted in sending notice to our creditors of the circumstances and we weren't penalized, except for one creditor.  Of course, the businesses holding the checks weren't as understanding. 

I have been back.  They were under different management.  Last time I was up there I wanted to stop and eat but they were closed for the season.  I tried to work it into this year's run, but it's either too early or too late for lunch, depending upon which way we run the RFTH 28 route.