Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Finally-Getting some of my overpaid tax money back.  (Read 14866 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Finally-Getting some of my overpaid tax money back.
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:34 pm »
Since I turned 65 and Mel's disabled, I heard that we could sign up at the courthouse for some reductions in taxes we pay to the county and city, and possibly also get a little extra income.  So, this morning I took our tax returns down to the county government complex and started signing up.  I went to the tax assessors office and I got over $600 in school taxes wiped out, and my property taxes reduced and my garbage and water rates reduced.  There were several other things that were reduced, too, but I don't remember what they were.  I went downstairs to the tag office to see if there were any discounts I could get off my car tags and they said there wasn't.

Then I went across the parking lot to another building where the Welfare office was located to see if I could have any luck there.  One of my brothers and my Mom lives with us and both are disabled.  Both are on limited incomes, but I couldn't get anything for them.  So out of anger and frustration, I told them I wanted to sign my Dog up for welfare. At first the lady said,  "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare". So I explained to her that my Dog is a mix in color, doesn't have a job, lazy, can't speak English and has no frigging clue who his Daddy is. He expects me to feed him, provide him with housing and medical care, and feel guilty because he is a dog.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify. My Dog gets his first check next Friday.

Damn this is a great country.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
Re: Finally-Getting some of my overpaid tax money back.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
Cool. Jeeze are you THAT old?  ;D  I never would have guessed.
When I bought the Ga. property I tried to get a homestead exemption (as I was planning to move here). Refused because I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUILD A HOUSE!! Seems you have to be rich enough (or have enough credit to borrow your life away) to build a HOUSE (not just a dwelling) to get a break from the govt. Funny how the very poor never get any breaks.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - R. J. Wiedemann LtCol. USMC Ret