Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Center Console Skeletons  (Read 25993 times)

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
Center Console Skeletons
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:20 pm »
    I recently have posted on Pennock's Fiero Forum about moving to Georgia within the next 6 months to a year.
And I was responded by many great people in the area of Atlanta,Augusta,Douglasville,Lawrenceville.Two of the
members in particular "FieroFool" and "Top Notch" urged me to go ahead and join the Georgia Fiero Forum now to get me all ready to go. ;D Thank You very much for reaching out.

With that being said I was contacted recently about my Center Console Skeleton build by "FieroFool" to go ahead and post on here for the members that don't frequent Pennock's.Plus to get me more familiar to the people
of the Georgia Fiero Club.These will be made in 3 or 4 seperate pieces for easier installation and made so you can work on the shifter cable without taking the entire console and skeleton out.Plus they are going to be built with threaded inserts for machine thread cap screw versus just being drilled for holes that can easily be cross threaded and eventually have broken off tabs and then the infamous "JBWeld" holding everything together.

Here is a picture of the original skeleton and the template from above to compare the size and pattern.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:25:20 pm by FieroGTLT1 »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Center Console Skeletons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »
There was some discussion on Pennocks about moving window and mirror controls around and cup holders and eliminating ash trays, and even reworking the radio and HVAC surround.  Something I didn't see mentioned was the console for the automatic trans.  Your skeleton appears to have accommodations for the ash trays to fit directly into the skeleton rather than having the vinyl shift surround saddle sit over the console.  Am I interpreting your design correctly? 

Can the area that houses the switches and the shifter and ashtrays be swapped out without changing out everything else, for that custom look should someone want to change the layout? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:43 pm »
Yes I am making a shiftplate right now for "tntcary" that has the power window/mirror
switches cut into the shift plate without the use of the lower mounting plate.As for the
skeleton,it is the same weather it is a auto or manual trans.The upper seperate part can be cut with the stereo on the top position or the bottom one.Or the option of a double
DIN stereo,then just cut a new faceplate.Plus I am in the process of rewiring the door
lock switches and moving them to the center console with the other switches.The power window/mirror switches can pretty much be moved anywhere.

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:08:19 pm »
I am now completely healed from my recent hand surgery ;D.So I went yesterday and got enough plastic to do around 20 complete Center Console Skeletons. No garage here so as soon as it stops raining around here I can
start cutting some plastic this week.

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:26 pm »
Completely starting over from scratch with this project since this past April.I have found a company that sells a better casting resin for this item.So hopefully they will be done anytime within the next couple of month's.I will be attempting to make tail light lenses for the next project. ;D

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »
Hey, man, good to see you back.  I just sent you an email less than an hour ago to see if you were OK.  No real need to hurry.  Take your time and get it right.  Hope moving up here is still in your future. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:08 am »
Hey, man, good to see you back.  I just sent you an email less than an hour ago to see if you were OK.  No real need to hurry.  Take your time and get it right.  Hope moving up here is still in your future.
Thank You a lot .I just found your E-Mail that you sent me today.My health has gotten better and I am totally healed from my hand surgery but I will be going back to my hand surgeon this Thursday to see if I need to get my other two fingers done the same way.My wife and I are definitely still thinking about moving up there " Hopefully in 2014 ".I hope the Center Console Skeleton project comes out good enough to be shared with the Fiero community since no company or individual is currently producing this
much needed item.        P.S.    Thank You again for the oxygen supplies you sent me.They worked perfect for me.      Todd  Mullenaux.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 10:07:46 am »
Interested in seeing how this turns out. I've got a lot that I want to do with my new Fiero, and this would be a nice part of my planned wood upgrade for my center console.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:55:00 pm »
This looks like it could definitely be useful for anyone in need of replacing the frail/cracked/broken center console bracket. I'm interested to know what you would charge for one of those? You mentioned that you could do one with a double DIN option. Could you do one with the double DIN radio and HVAC controls reversed. I had done a custom double DIN radio install last year and swapped the position of the radio and HVAC controls and liked that set up so much more. Unfortunately last August someone broke into my car and stole the radio. I tried to install it so it couldn't be easily stolen and I'm sure that was the case because the thief ended up destroying much of my dash to get the radio over the shifter to pull it out. I have since put the factory radio back in with the HVAC controls just resting on top of the radio because all the inside brackets are destroyed. I could use another console skeleton but if I could get one already set up the way I want it that would make life so much easier. I never got the trim plate finished before the radio was stolen but I would like to try and finish this project someday. Here is the link to my original post.  8)

http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1495.msg14564#msg14564

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
            I am in the process of making molds and will be pouring a new casting resin.It has been through trial and error to find the right resin that will have enough strength to hold up.I will post some pics up as soon as I have the new resin casted.The front center bar will be removable to be able to install a double DIN stereo and can be reinstalled to be back to stock.The faceplate could be made with the stereo at the top and the HVAC at the bottom.Just would have to take the vents from the original and transfer them over.The Center Console Skeletons are going to be between $75.00 and $100.00 shipped and all have the ability to have the center bar to be removable.Thank You.........Todd Mullenaux.

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:05 am »
Got some time to cast a piece in the new resin.It seemed to come out fine,it just needs to be sanded and cleaned up a little.

Bottom of the original piece.

Bottom of the new casted part.

Top of the original piece.

Top of the new casted part.

Back tabs made thicker.Will keep the tabs from breaking as easy.

That's all I have for now until Friday or Saturday. :D

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:45:45 am »
AND?
I'm interested in the one that flips the radio with the hvac controls, double din. If that was sold in a package with a faceplate, that might be a popular item.
Keep us posted.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

FieroGTLT1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »
Well....I went to my doctors appointment today and he found a tumor on the left side of my neck. :'(
Hopefully when I get it biopsied next week it will turn out to be benign and not cancerous.So now I am majorly in a
deep depression till I find out what is what.So I don't feel like working on any kind of project at this time.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
I will be praying for you that it isn't cancerous and to lift your spirit.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »
Hopefully it is benign. We'll put you on our prayer list too. Don't be depressed, live life like you love it.
Keep us in the loop.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.