Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Indiana Fiero owner killed. Please use safe practices when working on your car.  (Read 3943 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
From Pennocks...
"Just few days ago on July 27, 2021, Ethan Allen (yourfriendethan on Pennocks) passed away while working under his Fiero, just a year after finding one that he has always wanted for more than 20 plus years... to have his life ended when his Fiero somehow fell on him & crushed him underneath. That's a terrible way for one's life to end like that and one of the saddest days on Fiero Forum."

More at the link.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099849.html

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
That's really tragic.  I think the graphic that Fiero Vice updated will help to prevent some accidents.  I have the original and a laminated one that was provided by Fiero Jon at the Carlisle show.  I plan to replace the old image with the new updated one and also use it when I refer lifting points to someone.  I always keep a copy of the lift point graphic in my car.  It may also save someone else's life. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
I always try to have a "backup". When I place jackstands and let the jack down, I'll then run the jack back up so that it's firmly against the car.
Even if I'm using my A-frame, I'll still place jackstands.

When I was in elementary school, I knew a girl who watched her dad get killed under a car, while working. I'm not sure she ever got over that. And it's always been in the back of my mind.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 02:37:25 pm by Raydar »

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
Raydar, I thought I was the only one that did that. I absolutely hate working under cats on jackstands. I will stuff tires under there as well when I can.

Very tragic to read about.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
I do the same thing Raydar. I’m I’m really concerned I’ll take a few screw jacks from spare tire kits and put the around. I’ve saved a few of the spare tire jacks, they are really handy.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

PK

• View Profile
Horrific.  I remember reading his thread about his fiero.  Seemed a very happy chap.  Very sad.

My work involves inspecting lifting equipment and stands etc and I hear some horror stories and also see some horrors!!!

There was a PFF thread a while ago about axle stands and today I was inspecting kit at a commercial vehicle workshop.  They had some really neat stands that they use for small jobs such as brake/wheel/bearing inspections, so they are similar dimensions to standard auto stands but much more substantial.  I really liked the design and quality and may even get myself a set. Here are the stands....

https://www.sefac-lift.co.uk/product/tbe-522-support-stand/

I'm sure the US of A must have a similar design available.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
The same cautions and choices should be observed for ramps.  I have a set of stamped steel ramps.  I loaned them out to a friend and one of them collapsed.  When he returned them, he had reinforced them with metal bars welded to the sides, running from the leg to the ramp approach. 

They were of a similar design as these, but didn't have the braces.  He welded braces on after the collapse. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
The same cautions and choices should be observed for ramps.  I have a set of stamped steel ramps. 

I have a set of steel ramps similar to that, except that they have a support at the top of the incline. Call it a "center leg". 
They seem to be quite sturdy, and are stored inside, where they won't rust, or anything. I still look at them a little funny sometimes, though.

The problem I have with those, is that they like to slide, on a concrete floor. I probably need to buy some rubber feet to put under the front corners.
The angle is also too steep to use with a Fiero, or even my G6. I have some wooden approach ramps that I have built, but that is still not ideal. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:09:44 pm by Raydar »