Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Tech Tips  (Read 4057 times)

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
Tech Tips
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:29:34 am »
Remember when you first started working on your Fiero and something kicked your butt and then sometime later someone showed you a trick to do it easier, better, or faster?

I need these tips for the newsletter. i want to do one per month. So give me all you got and i will archive them for future newsletters.
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Tech Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 08:40:17 pm »
When changing rear brake pads, do NOT turn the pistons

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 09:45:46 pm »
When changing rear brake pads, do NOT turn the pistons
That one requires a bit of explanation, since the Fiero Store sells a tool explicitly made for turning the rear caliper piston, to retract it. But a (I think) better way to retract it is to remove the e-brake lever and push the piston in. What you must NEVER do is push the piston in with the e-brake lever in place.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Wreck It Ralph

• Wreck it Ralph
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
Is that on all years?
1988 Fiero Base 4cyl 5spd.
1986 Fiero GT ... Parting out. Let me know if you need something.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:20:12 pm »
84-87 for sire, not sure about the 88 (Steve?)......

The factory service manual says to push the pistons in with pliers,  the Fiero Store tool might be needed to rebuild the calipers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 09:09:39 am »
On the 86, 86, and 87's I've owned, I always removed the lever on the back of the caliper and pressed the piston back.  I remove it, repace the nut finger tight, and put a large socket over it to clamp against.  I left the pad in place against the piston to prevent the piston from turning and also it prevents the possibility of pushing the piston too far into the bore as the back of the pad will come to rest on the calliper body.  The reason I put the nut back on is to prevent the adjuster screw from going inside the calliper.  That would require disassembly and some internal parts may not be available to the general public.

When Roger and I replaced the pads all the way around on the 88 Lil' Duke Coupe, we used the same procedure. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:14:56 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 09:16:09 am »
This might be better suited in the Tech Tips section. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 09:57:26 am »
I take off the parking brake lever, and (IIRC) put the nut back on.
Then I place a large socket over the nut and shaft, and use a C-clamp to press the piston back in. Always feels a little bit "dicey", but then it always works.
If you can find "Ogre's cave", through the link on Pennocks, he goes into a long dissertation about how to do it.
My take? Pretty much if you do it, and don't break anything, and your parking brake still adjusts and works, you're golden. :D

With that said... since '97 when I "got back into" Fieros, I've had one pre-88. Never could get the brakes right on that one, for whatever reason.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 12:15:11 pm »
So we all agree to not reset the pistons by trying to turn them ( as it says in the service manual)?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 12:24:03 pm »
I have the brake piston tool but have never used it.  I really don't know if that works, or not.  I have heard that one side turns in clockwise and the other counterclockwise.  I guess if one turns it the wrong way, the adjuster screw or whatever could be damaged. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 08:08:36 pm »
The main reason for not turning the pistons is age. Our calipers are very old, and while the pistons have moved out and in over the years, they haven't turned. I'd be afraid of ruining the seals if I tried to turn one.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 08:32:35 pm »
The main reason for not turning the pistons is age. Our calipers are very old, and while the pistons have moved out and in over the years, they haven't turned. I'd be afraid of ruining the seals if I tried to turn one.

I disagree..... the reason for not turning the pistons is because the tech manual says not to