Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Gas tank fitment  (Read 13787 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Gas tank fitment
« on: June 21, 2020, 08:27:51 am »
In a wide-ranging conversation with Rodney, we discussed gas tanks, and he made the statement that the larger tank has fitment issues in the '84-'86 Fieros.  On the one hand, that makes sense; on the other hand, with this being a common swap, it would seem that there would be more info on this.  Can anyone confirm the details on this, or disprove this?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Gas tank fitment
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:26:52 am »
There has to be some modification to the support straps to accommodate the larger tank.  I don't know just what those are, though.  Supposedly, the 87-88 tank is a little wider at the bottom.  Here's a side view comparison of the 84 and 87 tanks.  You must be logged in to see the image.  It's an unfortunate function of the file attachment app. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:03:03 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:56:31 pm »
This is not about gas tanks, but you comment on having to be logged on.  Didn't now we had this option now, yeh no more PIP.  I see having to be logged in to see images as a bonus in acquiring new members.  Sure some will register and never participate but if you cant see the images your going to want to register.  My old feather craft boat site I frequent is that way.  The old car site I go to has ad between posts if you do not register (then the ads go away if you log on).

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 05:57:18 pm »
There has to be some modification to the support straps to accommodate the larger tank.  I don't know just what those are, though.  Supposedly, the 87-88 tank is a little wider at the bottom.  Here's a side view comparison of the 84 and 87 tanks.  You must be logged in to see the image.  It's an unfortunate function of the file attachment app.

The tank straps are completely different (longer) for the later tank.