Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Replacing Temp sender on V6  (Read 15270 times)

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Replacing Temp sender on V6
« on: May 05, 2018, 01:59:44 pm »
I am replacing my temp sensor on my 87 GT.  While removing the wire plug it crumbled.  Is there a source for a new plug.  The new sensor receptacle is a little deeper than the old one.
Thanks;
Harrry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Temp sender on V6
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »
Like this?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
Those are for the CTS located underneath the thermostat housing neck, on the passenger end of the engine.  If you're looking for the one for the gauge, located on the left end of the trunk side head, Rodney has the replacement plastic piece.  http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=174
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:16:44 am »
I am now completely confused.  The sensor I pulled the broken connector off of is on the drivers  end of the engine just above the exhaust manifold.  The broken plug looks like the picture in the Fiero Store catalog that GTRS posted above.  I will have to look tomorrow  as the cover in the picture on Rodneys site does not look like anything on my sensor.
Harry
2009 Honda CR-V
Retired Mechanic

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:17:32 am »
Like this?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:27:08 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:24:25 am »
This should help:

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:49:21 am »
Harry, if the sending unit has an oval head, it's the Coolant Temperature Sensor and should be used only on the passenger end of the engine, below the thermostat housing neck and the top of the water pump.

If your wire going to the area you describe has been cut and spliced and has the oval head, someone has fallen prey to bad information in the auto parts store books.  NAPA and most chain parts stores have the wrong information.  The CTS sensor is a pass-through circuit.  Positive voltage and it derives it's ground at the ECM.  The Tempereature Gauge Sensor has two circuits.  One is for the gauge and one is for the temperature light.  They get their ground through the base of the sensor.  The light circuit is a simple on/off to ground.  The gauge circuit is a variable resistor.  A potentiometer or rheostat. 

The sensor you need in that area has a round plastic head with a slit in the side of the head.  The replacement clip I posted from Rodney's site is the clip that goes onto the two wires.  One of them should be green and the other green with white tracer. 

This is the sending unit you need for your purpose and it uses the harness clip I posted.  https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-temperature-sender-with-gauge-wt414p/5973481-P?searchTerm=temperature+switch%2Fsender

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 01:52:19 pm »
Charlie;
I sent you some pictures as I have never loaded them on this site.  As you will see they sold me the wrong sensor.  I wish Rodney had a picture of the unit assembled and ready to slip onto the sensor as it is hard to picture how it fits.
Thanks;
Harry
2009 Honda CR-V
Retired Mechanic

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »
The picture of Rodney's harness end shows it as it's opened up, ready to lay the wires into it.  It then folds back together and snaps to hold it closed.  Your old harness end will unfold and open to make removal of the wires simple.  Pay close attention to how they are oriented in the old harness, relative to the slit in the sensor.  One solid green wire and one green with white tracer.  If they're installed incorrectly, the temp gauge will peg just by turning the ignition to the ON position. 

I replied to your emails.