Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Sprayglo paint shops. Anyone used them?  (Read 17634 times)

oldbikeracer

Sprayglo paint shops. Anyone used them?
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:08:52 am »
I am looking at the Sprayglo paint shops to repaint my 87 GT. Their prices are low and warranty seems good. Anyone here used them to paint a Fiero?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Sprayglo paint shops. Anyone used them?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:44:04 pm »
I had never heard of them, but apparently they're pretty wide spread and have been around for a while.  Like any franchised autobody and paint shop, it depends totally upon the people who work at the particular location. 

An example with MAACO, Aerodonamic got a great paint job on his 86SE at the Douglasville store.  I took my 87 to them a year or so later and had to make them repaint part of the car before I accepted it.  Even with that, I had to take them to court regarding damage and lost items.  The paint job had a 5 year warranty and after about 3 years the paint looked like it'd been peppered with small stones across all top surfaces.  They blamed it on stone chips, even on the roof and rear deck lid.  It was actually caused by buffing compound flakes that had been painted over.  They wouldn't repair it. 

Many recommend stripping off all the trim like side molding and marker lights, mirrors and rear fascia and engine vents.  Remove the tail lights, headlight doors, front and rear lids and remove the wing from the rear lid.  Remove all the aero trim including the rocker panels. 

Then, do all the prep work yourself or get an experienced friend to help you.  You'll get a better paint job. 

Here's some reviews of one of the local stores.  I couldn't find any for the Albany store.

http://www.surecritic.com/reviews/sprayglo-metropolitan-parkway

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

oldbikeracer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:26 pm »
Thanks for the info. I think I will try them. I have looked at several paint jobs they have done and they all looked very good. My car was painted some time in the past and is not a stock color so I can not find matching paint to repaint the damaged nose (looks like it went through a rock storm). I have cleaned up the nose and it is now slick and looking good with my primer on it. I think I will have it done next week, I will post results when I get it back.
Mike

oldbikeracer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:38 am »
Dr5opped it off to them yesterday, should have it back tomorrow or Thursday. Picked a color called red crystal metallic.  Car was painted some time in the past and is one color without the silver bottom trim so I am going back with one color. How do I post pictures here to show results?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »
In the Administrators Announcements TopNotch has posted instructions to download our version of Pennocks Image Poster.  Once downloaded, you may need to also go to PowerToysForWindows and download a picture resizer for your version of windows.  Image size should be under 100K in order to post. 

I hope they remove the trim from the car.  My first GT had been painted with all the aero trim on the car.  The paint bridged but later due to vibrations of the two parts, started to crack and peel where the aero trim pieces met with the fenders and doors. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

oldbikeracer

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »
Picture

oldbikeracer

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:32:41 pm »
Got it back late today. Somehow they taped the rim and I can find no places where the paint bridged. The paint is very smooth and glossy and just looks great. After all it is not a show car, I just wanted it to look respectable. I am totally amazed at the job they did. Of course they did not tape and paint the small portions in the truck or door sills. Since this color is so close to the original it is really not noticeable, I have cleaned and clear coated the door sills and just polished and waxed the other small areas. It has three year warranty that cover anything that shows up in the paint, peeling, bubbles, Etc. For $450.00 I am extremely pleased. These small pictures just do not do it justice. Done by  Sprayglo in Leesburg, Georgia.

oldbikeracer

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »
One more picture

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:57 pm »
I don't see any pictures. Did you use PIP?
See this thread.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »
I didn't see any at first, but when I signed in, they suddenly popped up. 

Nice.  Glad it came out so good for you.  I forgot this was your original car.  I was thinking of the silver one being repainted red.  Forgot it's already gone. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:57 pm »
I still don't see any pictures. If you hosted them on a site provided by your internet service provider, they may only show up for others using the same ISP, or an ISP having an agreement with yours. Other folks will be out of luck.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »
It's strange, but I only see them after I log in.  If I log out, they disappear until I log back in.  I'm using Windstream as my ISP.  The pictures are very small, though.  Not large enough to see any detail.

oldbikeracer

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:12 am »
I use AT&T for my DSL, pictures are small due to the 198KB size limit.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:50:54 am »
Bring the car to the club picnic on the 8th, and we won't have to rely on pictures. ;)

oldbikeracer

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »
Seems there was no interest in seeing larger pictures so I removed the link. Just did not to clutter things up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:38:39 pm by oldbikeracer »