Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: new member  (Read 17032 times)

austingunkel

« on: August 31, 2009, 12:01:00 am »
hey everyone my nems austin and i baught my first fiero a few days ago. i was wondering if anyone knows of or considers themselves a fiero mechanic in the savannah area. if so let me know and i can go into more detail about the car.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:21 am »
Welcome, Austin.  I suppose all of us who own a Fiero consider ourselves mechanics to some degree, since there's lots of things to tend to on the cars.  The two major mechanics in the club aren't online, but you can post your questions in the Technical section and possibly get some answers.  Robs Fieros from Tennesse frequents this forum and has a Fiero garage, so he might be able to answer some questions.  We do have a former member who is a mechanic and has moved down to a town just west of Fort Stewart.  If you'd like, I'll see if I can find his contact information for you. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

austingunkel

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »
that would be awesome

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:59:31 pm »
Try Clyde Davis at clydedavis63@gmail.com   If that doesn't work, I'll try calling him and have him contact you.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:34:19 pm »
Welcome to the Fiero world, where we restore and drive the best cars still on the road. If you need to know something just ask, we all probably know the answer. Welcome to the forum.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

austingunkel

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
i have found the problem!!!!!!!!!!! my exhaust manifold gaskets are all blown too big of a job for me so i am outsourcing to a local garage they quoted $100 best case scenario with no broken bolts - $500 worst case senario with every bolt breaking and lifting out the engineso if this is a completely unreasonable quote let me know if not i will be driving my 85 shortly

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:04 pm »
That doesn't sound like a bad quote, but your problem could be a cracked manifold rather than a blown gasket. You really need to find out.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

austingunkel

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:03:20 pm »
i looked and theres an 1/8 inch gap between exhaust and manifold manifold looks ok but i will be at the shop the entire time and looking at every piece they claim is broken i would do it myself but dont have the resources and have never had to drill out and tap a broken bolt so i would probably mess it up

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
Tell us a little about the car.  4 or 6? Coupe or Fastback?  Stick or auto?  Year?  It might help us to answer some of your future questions.

austingunkel

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:30 am »
its a 1985 2.8 v6 coupe in decent shape not smoking just exhaust leak from exhaust manifold gasket i baught it out of a guys backyard for 600 and replaced air filter cleaned air intake checked plugs plug wires and timing and all are good im when i cleaned up battery leads the miss went away replaced bulb in dash so battery can get a charge (thanks to another thread i didnt have to get new alternator) and now im about to get exhaust manifold gasket replaced and i should be good to go  one question i have is my exhaust had heat wrap on it butits dry rotted off is it a good idea to replace or is it not necessary and my dash is starting to crack on the corners by air vents any suggestions?

austingunkel

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 12:43:48 am »
im looking at photos was there different front ends on the 85s mine doest slant up on the bottom like most i saw one picture of an indy and it kind of looks like that i have a bra on it though so i cant be sure but the front end is as close to the ground as the side skirts

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:31:47 am »
It's likely a GT.  The lower trim should be silver unless the whole car has been repainted, and the quarterwindows should designate GT unless they are missing or have been replaced.  Underneath the bra, the nose badge should also say Fiero GT. 

Regarding the dash, there's a dash up here in the u pull it.  An 85GT that has no cracks on the corners.  Those vents are commonly referred to as "knee-knockers".  You'll soon find out why they're called that and why the corners are cracked.  Usually the drivers side goes first.

By your description of the exhaust leaks, the leaks are between the manifold and the engine head?  As TopNotch suggested, the V6 had a problem with the exhaust manifold itself developing a crack around the # 6 port.  This is the port closest to the driver's back.

The Fiero didn't come with heat wrap around the exhaust system.  If you have it, it was added by a previous owner.  Might be best to remove it if it's rotted and hanging loose.

austingunkel

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 01:52:17 pm »
im gonna check for the emblem to see if tis gt or not but the exhaust leaks where the exhaust connects to the manifold the blow gasket is visible and i am hoping that the exhaust manifold itself is not cracked i would bee very unhappy if it is

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 02:32:40 pm »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:52 pm »
While the manifolds are off, be sure to port them. You'll see where when you look in the holes on the flanges. Ther's sheetmetal blocking the porst. Good for ~7 HP to open them up.
Also, I like to weld on a stainless re-inforcement at the area where they tend to crack.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

"There's nothing better than towing home a new car." - Advance Auto Parts ad.