Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: help with my brother's car  (Read 15240 times)

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
help with my brother's car
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »
my brother's car is a 00 monte carlo ss with the 3800. it wont start. the battery was low but the battery was brand new. i found the cable from the battery going down had rubbed on the pulley. i repaired that and put a wire tie on to clear the pulley. i connected a test light to the starter and had my brother turn the key. it indicated power to the starter but it didnt start, the starter didnt even groan. i tried it again with jumpers to my matrix. no blown fuses, i'm pretty sure its the starter.

my dad thinks its something else. he also says that the 4 banger in the matrix was not  powerfull enough to provide power to turn the starter :: rolls eyes ::
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:58:19 pm by cogcaviz24 »

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
Re: help with my brother's car
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:09:29 am »
If the 4 cylinder is running it should help charge the battery enough to turn it over. You might try tapping on the starter with a hammer to free it up.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:32 am »
tried the old "beat it" trick that day as well, still didn't work.

my dad got down there (and when I say down there I mean memorial drive :-\) yesterday and found the problem to be with the solenoid. put a new one in place, and TADA, fixed

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:31 pm »
Did you say you had power to the starter?  If its got power to the starter and no engagment then the starter is toast.  If the starter has no power, the nuetral safety switch is probably bad.