Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero 1 - Deer 0  (Read 15072 times)

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Fiero 1 - Deer 0
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:01 am »
So, I was headed over to Fierfly's house in the convertible tonight, and decided to take the long way (you know, the one with the fun curves).  There I was, coming around a long sweeping right hander at slightly over the posted speed limit when I see a deer cross in front of me.  Now this is not my first rodeo...I know this game...where there is one, there are more.  I start to slow down, and as I get a little further around the curve, the lights illuminate the other one standing on the right side of the road.  I get on the brakes harder...then she decides to go.  At this point, you have a split second to decide which direction you should go.  Do you swerve behind her and hope she keeps running?  Or do you swerve in front of her and hope she stops?  Deer rarely stop...but if you swerve behind her and she stops, you hit her dead on...if you swerve in front of her and she keeps going, you might get away with a light hit on the side of the car.  Lesser of two evils...I went in front.  I managed to get two "Oh $#!%"s off before I heard that sickening CRUNCH from the right quarter panel.  I saw her hit out of the corner of my eye...right behind the door.  As I pulled to the side of the road, I imagine a destroyed rear fender that was custom formed for the convertible (here I uttered a few choice words)...and what a shame to kill an original Mechum side scoop like that (insert more choice words here).

Then I got out to view the damage, and was absolutely shocked to find this:

Upon closer inspection, I did find some damage.  The crack is new, but I acknowledge it is in the seam between the original fender and the convertible cap.  The trim behind the handle on the door is newly broken, and there was remnants of the deer stuck in the trim just behind the door.

This is a new crack too:

Finally....karma is starting to pay me back....

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fiero 1 - Deer 0
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
You were lucky on that one.  Good thing it didn't try to jump over you and with a convertible, end up in the car. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:28:48 pm »
I did not realize it was hunting season already.
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

redraif

• View Profile
    • Indy SE #770 "Stormtrooper Edition"
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
sorry to here about this... How is the car?  Has anything else developed or did it remain superficial?
1984 Modified Indy Fiero SE #770 "StormTrooper Edition"

Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45, 18x8, 39 offset , 84 WS6 springs -1.5 coils
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:41:54 am »
Remained superficial.  However, when inspecting for damage, something didn't look right with that rear wheel.  I pulled some measurements, and sure enough it was out of alignment...toed in significantly.  Considering that I had just replaced the hub, knuckle, caliper and rotor a couple days earlier (couldn't remove the caliper bolts during a brake job), I suspect it was because of miscalculations on my part rather than damage from the deer.