Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel Tank Cleaning  (Read 15994 times)

l82roadster

• View Profile
Fuel Tank Cleaning
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »
Well I pulled my fuel tank on my 86 Se. The car has been sitting since 1992 and when I got the tank down there was alot of rust in the bottom of the tank. The fuel was old and the rust was like sand in the bottom. I did some research on the web and found a method to boil the rust out of the tank. I took arm and hammer washing soda(sodium carbonate) you can't use baking soda because it is sodium bicarbonate and from what I read it doesn't work you have to use the sodium carbonate. I mixed about half the box in hot water, mixing it in a bucket and then pouring it in the tank. I then built an anode out of a piece of allthread I had laying around and hooked a 12 guage wire to it, I put a wire tie on the wire to keep it on the allthread. I then put another wire tie on the wire to clamp a pair of vice grips to the wire to suspend it in the tank. Make sure if youy do this you use an piece of steel with no chromium (they say it makes a nasty gas). after suspending the allthread in the tank I hooked my battery charger negative lead to the tank and the wire from the anode to the positive lead and plugged the charger in and put it on the highest setting. Now the slution is bubbling and should clean the rust from the tank, I will tell y'all how it worked later. I will also take pics of my experiment for y'all to see.