Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: SHE ALIVE!!!!! well almost  (Read 17411 times)

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
SHE ALIVE!!!!! well almost
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »
i found out what rob meant by smoke today :)

after I put in fluids, swapped coil and distributor, and connected the battery i cautiously tried starting it. i had a horrible noise when the starter turned. after some investigation, i discovered the starter shim was in crooked causing one the fingers to hit the gears. i fixed that and tried starting it again, it turned but didn't run. after checking the prime suspects, i found that i didn't have the plug wires right. once i got the wires right, she fired up and run like a champ. i played with the timing a bit and got it really close. then took it for a test drive. NO CODES!!!! and no more exhaust leak!

first thing i noticed was the speedo was pegged, i pulled over and found a loose connection a the tranny. i had to also take the gauge cover off to flip the needle back to zero.

my one concern is the tranny seems to acting up. when i came to a stop, it(tranny) bucked. almost like it decide what gear it should be in. also when i turn left from a stop, i press the gas but the car doesn't go for a moment. the engine sounds fine but i get a hesitation.

any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:07:25 pm by cogcaviz24 »

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: SHE ALIVE!!!!! well almost
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:58:13 pm »
oh and i changed the transmission fluid as well

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:12:31 am »
Well, sounds like it could be low on fluid?  How many miles on it befor you changed it?  What kind of tranny?

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 06:58:59 am »
179K on the tranny, automatic. i checked the fluid after the couple test drives i did, there was some on the stick and it was within range, but very faint.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:09:44 am by cogcaviz24 »

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:01:05 am »
If it's hesitating then your timing is low. And the tranny might just need the TCC solenoid replaced.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:35 pm »
ok, just about everything is fixed. my only concern now is the oil pressure shows low and even when driving, it never reaches 40psi. i dont have an aftermarket to get a second opinion.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:18:59 pm »
You said that there were 179K miles on the transmission (above). If there are also that many on the engine, you could have some worn bearings, which could cause low pressure. Do you have standard 5-30 oil in it? If so, try 10-40 and see if the pressure increases.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:51:05 pm »
the engine has 139K. i put mobile 1 5W-30 in it

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »
It's possible that your sending unit is incorrect.  If you don't have one, I can loan you a mechanical gauge that you can put on the engine to get a true reading. 

If the mechanical gauge shows no more than 40 psi at running speed, I think I'd make Ashby return my money. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:23:01 pm »
i have the one from the other motor i could swap and see if that changes anything. as soon as i'm able to get it back on the eastside of gainesville, i'll may give you a call and see about comming down to check it. i'd really hate to go through all that work to have the engine go bad. and i'd hate to give Ashby a hard time about it, i'm to passive :)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:20:20 pm »
The electric sending units are often inaccurate.  I just went through 4 new sending units before finding a good one that agreed with the mechanical gauge.  Each of the electric units gave a different higher reading.  The only way to know for sure is to use a mechanical gauge. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:33 am »
SHE'S HOME!!!! i just got in, and she is in the driveway. still got some things to play around with. ebrake light is on, tranny could use a little more fluid, needs an EGR hose(got a code 32), i have a crx intake sitting in the house waiting to go on(yes,yes i know, no gain), and she needs a good cleaning

now, i gotta clean my dad's shop and put the other engine back together so i can give it to ashby(part of the deal).

oh yeah, i shortened the shifter(auto) by just over an inch, before i put the interior back together. i'll get some pics tomorrow

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:59:28 pm »
shortened shifter

new engine installed