Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Recommendatons on places to buy new v6 engine.  (Read 17023 times)

sonic50

• View Profile
Recommendatons on places to buy new v6 engine.
« on: October 12, 2008, 03:49:36 pm »
Any recommendation on where I can buy a new engine block for a 2.8l?
I don

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Recommendatons on places to buy new v6 engine.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:18:04 pm »
Scott, just a personal opinion.  The 2.8 is a little difficult to find, and the cost for a rebuilt one is about the same as for a 93-95 3.4.  All the parts from your old 2.8 will go onto the 3.4 and it's a free 20 HP for the same money.  I'm thinking Don might have or know of a good 2.8, though. 

If you decide to go with a rebuilt, we bought one from Groomes in Nashville for about $1700, with no core charge.  They warrant it for 18 months in a Fiero.  Same engines that Ed Parks uses for his 3.4 conversions.  Jasper is higher and won't warrant it for a Fiero.  GM is almost double, but won't warrant it for a Fiero.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendatons on places to buy new v6 engine.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:55:23 pm »
Scott, My 3.4 came from Grooms.
Just a tip... If you buy it through Ed Parks, he can modify it for you, for installation in the Fiero. (Involves drilling the starter holes and... not much else, in your case. )
The up side of that is that if there is a problem, Ed can do the warranty work for you.

What does that mean?

I bought my engine from Grooms, through Ed. He did all the block mods required to make it fit into an 88 Fiero with an automatic. (More stuff than you'll need.)
I went and picked it up and installed it myself.
During the break-in period, it blew a head gasket due to a broken head bolt.
I towed  it back to Ed's.
They removed it, shipped it back to Grooms to be re-rebuilt, and reinstalled it in the car. Grooms paid Ed for the R&R, even though I did the initial install myself. 

I've beat hell out of it for 15-20K, and even taken it back apart to install a big cam and ported heads, and have had no more trouble out of it.
I certainly can't complain.