Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero No Worky  (Read 19481 times)

PK

• View Profile
Re: Fiero No Worky
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:07 am »
I don't think our parts places are like yours.  No loan tools or testing available.

If anyone needs to know... And to remind myself, the ICM bolts are 6-40 UNF x 3/4" set screws.  Very close to a 3.5mm thread.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 05:57:04 pm »
Hmmm.  In general, the loaner and testing tools are a good idea.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 10:59:45 am »
FIERO WORKY!!

New dist fitted and it fired straight up. After searching for the correct UNF bolts for ICM.... The new dist had a different thread size arghhhh.

Now I know it goes, I will fit the new dist cap and maybe leads.  And check front plugs.... And change fuel filter...and.. Set the timing as timing light located. Also checked the tyre date code and it would seem they are 18 years old!

At some point I will start a new thread about the water leak... But for now THANK YOU for the help and advice.

Cheers
PK

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2018, 11:59:19 am »
 8) ;D
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 06:48:02 pm »
Glad it's working.

Is it possible that the original bolts were the wrong size, and now they're correct?  Since they weren't the correct size, I wonder...

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 02:24:31 am »
The old UNF bolts fit in the original dist ICM holes fine but not the new dist.  I guess they changed the spec as difficult to source the UNF!

I will take the new bolts out and measure/replace as they are Phillips rather than hex head

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
The original screws were made of aluminum.  If the new Phillips head screws are metal, that may be beneficial.  It's not uncommon to drop those screws onto the engine.  In the case of the 85-87, the crossover pipe and related heat shields make it near impossible to remove because the screw must be accessed with the fingers or a grabber claw.  A pickup magnet tool can aid in the recovery of steel screws. Using a magnetized screwdriver while removing a steel screw will reduce the possibility of dropping it. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 06:31:58 pm »
PK, haven't seen you on for a bit.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 03:35:46 pm »
...annnnd...Fiero no worky!!!

Been very busy but was determined to at least get it on the road.  It has done 1 visit for MOT test and 3 local pootles and has decided to retire itself for the year!

On the last local pootle it started fine on initial start and died after 5 seconds....hmmm.  It then fired up fine and ran perfectly.  I purposely stopped/started it 20 odd times but couldn't recreate the problem. 

Today it did the same thing and then no restarty.  I did hear the fuel pump but for a very short duration.

It is def a fuel problem, no pressure whatsoever at shraeder valve am hoping not pump due to the pain of obtaining the bits.

Any suggestions as to best diagnosis procedure would be gratefully received.  No error codes are recorded.  I need to check the SES light comes on with ignition.  I guess after that relay check somehow and think there is an ALDL check for pump?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:40:48 pm by PK »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 04:29:29 pm »
The ALDL fuel pump test is in the August newsletter.

Do you hear the fuel pump?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 07:41:19 pm »
I don't remember if there's a fuse for the fuel pump, but check all fuses.  Place your fingers on the two relays located behind the air filter canister.  Have an assistant turn the ignition to ON and determine if you feel one of the relays click.  You should also be able to hear it. 

To test the fuel pump, apply power to the single ALDL terminal at the top, driver's side of the ALDL.  You can jumper from the lighter receptacle if you remove it and use the hot lead.  If the pump runs, you have a blockage in the fuel delivery system.  Check the two Injector fuses.  Inj 1 and Inj 2. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 07:45:56 pm »
If the fuel pump runs, the issue could be the pulsator...or whatever someone may have put in place of the pulsator.  Or, it could be the fuel pickup.

If there is a blockage, the fuel pump will rapidly die.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2020, 08:50:03 am »
Thanks chaps.  I did get a chance to quickly confirm that SES light comes on with ignition.

Next step fuses but not sure when I will get a chance but will report back.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:24:58 am by PK »

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 09:28:34 am »
Fuse #2 fuel pump relay etc is fine.  Changed for good measure.

I don't have anyone here but can hear relay click with ignition.

Next test.  ALDL power up pump.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 04:27:28 am »
Luckily had glamorous assistant this morning.  The audible click I could hear wasn't the fuel pump relay.

With said glamorous assistant I could feel the left relay click when ign switched ..BUT not every time ign switched.  And no fuel pump noise.  Thanks for info on touching both relays FF..I found diagram saying it's the right relay...it was the left one.