Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Overheat?  (Read 16731 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Overheat?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2021, 06:29:48 pm »
Once the coolant reaches the thermostat temp rating  it stays open.  It might partially close if temp drops appreciably.  Just a guess, but I know it stays open at or above temp rating.

Watching my temp on multiple vehicles, the needle moves--more dramatically on some vehicles than on other vehicles.  Usually, this is caused by the opening and closing of the thermostat.  Discussing this with a mechanic, the thermostat does open and close to allow the coolant from the radiator to be regulated.  Unfortunately, the regulation occurs after potentially cold coolant has already been drawn into a hot engine.  The thermostat does not know if the engine is running or not--only the coolant temp.

When the temps were -20 or so, we used to put cardboard in front of the grille, so we would have heat.  The engine temp was usually OK.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 06:04:00 pm »
The problem was a bad temp sender.  Lots and lots of bad temp senders.  Made in china.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2021, 07:24:59 pm »
The temp on the gauge now shows just below 220, or about there.  The fan comes on, but all good.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2021, 07:25:29 pm »
That didn't last long.  The only thing I can figure is the water pump.  Again.  The coolant does circulate, but sometimes the engine gets too warm.