Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Larry's Fiero Dilemmas  (Read 16066 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Larry's Fiero Dilemmas
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 07:14:29 pm »
Glad the squeal is gone.  How long was the handle on the wrench you used to allow the belt to slip on?

Gonna write an article for the tensioner install?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 07:58:40 pm »
Larry, I have a loaner dew wipe tool if you need it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 10:38:34 pm »
I used a 9/16 wrench on the tensioner it is only around 9" long.  There was a tab on the tensioner backside that the open end could slide over and grab onto.  I have a lot of tools but never just the specific one for the job.  A length of pipe might have helped but there is not much room to work. I just muscled it over and Michelle slipped the belt on.  This would be near impossible by the side of the road and definitely a no go for a single person on a hot engine with limited tools.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 06:10:19 pm »
I just muscled it over and Michelle slipped the belt on.  This would be near impossible by the side of the road and definitely a no go for a single person on a hot engine with limited tools.

See, easier for married people  ;)

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 07:14:45 pm »
That tensioner doesn't have the square hole for a breaker bar?

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 11:07:42 pm »
No square hole.  A real long open end wrench is your best bet. There is a lot of spring force there, pinched a finger or two trying for a while to get it done myself.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 02:15:19 pm »
About a month or so back I lost a lower front caliper bolt.  Quite a ride as the caliper swung up, shaved out a shallow ribbon of aluminum inside the rim before it finally wedged in the rim locking up the right front doing about 30mph just down the street from the house.  I threw it back together with a new bolt, and drove on up to Carlisle, but I certainly tweaked at least one thing.  Been having some issues during breaking and a repeating squeaking noise with some clicking all coming from the right front as witnessed by a friend sticking his head out and listening while costing down hill.   I took it apart again today and can see/feel the rotor is warped.  Bearings/hub and ball joints/tie rod all are tight and good.  Rotors, 4 options, are between $13 and $22 on Rockauto, neither Advance or NAPA has any in stock locally.   I need to pick out pads, they offer the usual variety Ceramic, Metallic and Semi-Metallic  which do I pick?

Second issue, If I bent the caliper too there are none available.  RockAuto, Napa and Advance all only list a reman left front for 88's.  Same on eBay; only reman lefts no rights (even used)  Should I get a extra left front for the shelf before they are no longer available? There was a listing for Dorman rears on ebay??? do those fit a Pontiac 6000 as well as it was listed for both? I thought rears were unobtanium.

Third issue, though unlikely, if I bent the rim too anybody got an extra 88 Formula/GT front in black they are willing to part with? Might be a good excuse to go 17"......

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 02:32:24 pm »
I have right and left front calipers on my 88 parts car, and i also have 88 gt/formula front rims.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2021, 04:45:51 pm »
Wasn't there also a front rim among those I brought for the parts barn? 

Larry, didn't you say you replaced the missing slider pin with a bolt?  Was it a brake slider pin for the 88 or was it just a bolt? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2021, 05:18:09 pm »
Last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago) calipersonline.com has rebuilt calipers for 88s. They only do the rears on an exchange basis, since cores are made of unobtainium.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2021, 05:19:00 pm »
Charlie, I used an appropriately sized bolt.  It is the same one TFS sells. I just got it at my local ACE .  https://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=56725%20%20%20%20%201988

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2021, 05:21:29 pm »
Every time I remove a caliper, I reinstall the bolts with blue Loctite or similar.
I've heard enough stories about 88 caliper bolts going AWOL.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2021, 05:25:01 pm »
I looked it up, apparently this happens a lot to 88's, because they upped the torque spec from 45 to 85 for 88 only.  This is only in the factory 88 manual  so folks used to 84-87 under tighten them.  ALL 4 calipers were at only 45ish, obviously tight now!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2021, 06:36:30 pm »
Last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago) calipersonline.com has rebuilt calipers for 88s. They only do the rears on an exchange basis, since cores are made of unobtainium.

Mine came from calipersonline.  Since then, there have been some changes, supply issues, etc.