Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Camshaft question  (Read 4220 times)

Spartanzz

• View Profile
Camshaft question
« on: August 05, 2021, 04:04:45 pm »
So my project didnt come with a cam. Previous owner got rid of it. I am trying to find a good one that i can put in and in my search i found this one a rock auto: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-chaz-dills-94b46bb0/

My friend works there and can get me a discount. But, i will be running the factory fiero computer. Will this cause any issues with tune and such? Or and i good to go ahead and order it so i can get the engine put back together?

Spartanzz

• View Profile
Re: Camshaft question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 04:10:11 pm »
So my project didnt come with a cam. Previous owner got rid of it. I am trying to find a good one that i can put in and in my search i found this one a rock auto: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-chaz-dills-94b46bb0/

My friend works there and can get me a discount. But, i will be running the factory fiero computer. Will this cause any issues with tune and such? Or and i good to go ahead and order it so i can get the engine put back together?

P.S. The engine i have is a 3.4 Camaro motor

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 04:53:48 pm »
That lead me to your LinkedIn page.  The 2.8, 3.1 iron head, and 3.4 cams are identical.  Higher lift may require a slight upgrade of injectors.  Stock Fiero injectors are insufficient for a 3.4.  I have a set of new 200 mile injectors available.  They were too much for my stock engine.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 05:18:39 pm »
I have a brand new stock cam and lifters for a 2.8. I bought them back when I was intending to rebuild the engine in my parts car.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:51:34 pm »
FWIW, the stock Fiero cam, and the stock Camarobird 3.4 cam are essentially identical. Rockauto even shows the same part numbers.
Both of the cams that Rockauto shows are pretty much identical to the stock 3.4 Camarobird cam. (.394/.410 lift numbers.)  They are also both out of stock.

If I were going to do a 2.8 or 3.4, and wanted the most "bang" with the minimum of drama (i.e. head mods), I would try to find a Crane H-260-2,  Part #253901. (.427/.454, intake/exhaust). It's about the biggest cam that can be installed in one of our motors without machine work on the heads for spring clearance.
Whatever cam you install, try to use GM lifters. They are more expensive, but most people have found them to be more reliable. Use 1.5 rockers. 1.6 will cause coil binding with a cam with such high lift numbers.
Back in the day, one of the auto magazines stuck this cam in an otherwise stock Fiero engine, and reported favorable results. I don't remember the particulars, though. 

I have a brand new stock cam and lifters for a 2.8. I bought them back when I was intending to rebuild the engine in my parts car.

Pat posted this while I was babbling on. There ya' go.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:54:40 pm by Raydar »

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 07:01:10 pm »
sory about the wrond line....

here is the correct link i was looking at:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k16-232-4/make/chevrolet

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 07:01:32 pm »

What would you want for them?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 09:03:31 pm »
How about $75.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 09:33:03 pm »
How about $75.

I'm good with that. Bring it to the next meet?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:57 pm »