Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Chaz's 86GT Build Thread, 3800SC and more  (Read 29995 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Chaz's 86GT Build Thread, 3800SC and more
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:40 am »
Noisy wheel bearings wouldn't go away with application of the brakes, either.  If when you pull the wheels, you can look at the pad squeakers and see if they're the culprits. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 10:51:31 am »
Ok ill check out both options when I can. And bad news about the wire harness apparently there was a screw up with the address on someone's parts that I can't fond out who. So the package got sent back to the guy who sold it to me so hopefully I can get ahold of him and fix all this asap....

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »
Another update for today!

Look what i got in the mail!

Looks like they decided to deliver it regardless which makes me VERY happy :)

thing came with ALL the connection including AC, the ICM wires extended for a different location if i want, was also labeled as you can see and it just ready to plug and play when we get the engine ready! IM so excited!!!!

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 12:57:55 am »
so update for those who are keeping up with this.

I went and pulled all the rod and main caps out only to discover they were all garbage...one was cracked, two were spun, and one had a nice valley shaved out of it...there was also metal shavings everywhere. So, i pulled the heads off pulled the pistons out and now the plan is to save the money get everything to a machine shop and turn it inot a brand new engine. will take some money so may take a little longer but it must be done!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 11:52:21 am »
If you haven't picked a machine shop yet, I recommend
Will's Auto Machine Shop
3149 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30341
They worked on my engine, and I'm very happy with the result.
They're not very far from where we have club meetings.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 11:57:35 pm »
ill look them up. As of the day we pulled the rest apart we were going to take it to the shop Lee got his engine done at. He spent $1,100 on everything including boring the engine out 30 over, new/better pistons, new bearings and cam bearings were punched in. I think im going to stick with stock bore and pistons in order to save some money on all the machine work. We were also going to see if he will get us the entire engine gasket kit. Hopefully not doing those mods to my engine will keep the price under around $900. Because that was i can get the money within the month to get it all done. Thats mainly because i REALLY want to get this done asap so i can have some time to get money for suspension upgrades and brake upgrades so i can have one fun as hell car for run for the hills! And I guess its actually kinda good we found all those bearings were bad. This way i have a zero miles engine all new with no problems that i can beat on without haveing to worry >.<

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:38 am »
Of course, if your cylinders are tapered, scored, or otherwise foobar, you'll need them bored.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:07 am »
yeah...im really hoping i can just used stock everything. From what i saw when i popped the pistons out every looked good on the walls but when i have some moey saved up im going to take it to our shop and see what he says. I figure its a win win. If they are good then i save money if they aren't the the engine will have more power and better pistons for later mods. Just trying to get the money trying to see if anyone needs to buy a a good laptop or awesome electric guitar that i have >.<

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »
well today brings bad news...Lee called and said he was able to get my engine and all its parts up to the machine shop and turns out its going to need a lot of work...Three rods have to be replaced, a CAM bearing spin and has to be machined out of the black and replaced. Overall he quoted me at around $1800 for re machine, balance, and fix/replace everything that needs it. A few people told me to stick with it and go ahead and pay that and make sure that engine is good. Many others said to go ahead and find another engine. Currently, i have two leads on two different engines. one if from a lady off of craigslist and she is willing to garontee the engine is good and said if it would give me peace of mine, i could pull the oil pain one main and rod cap off myself to be sure the bearings are ok and there are no metal shavings inside the engine. The other is actually is thanks to Lee and Don, he has a friend who bought his GTP new and is looking to sell it (running and ready to drive with no title) for a good price. So at the moment i am kinda torn with what to do...i do still want to swap the engine and have all ready started getting parts for it so not doing it in not am option lol. But, would like some extra input on what everyone thinks i should do...

Thanks guys

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 08:55:42 am »
While that certainly is a lot of money that's about what you'd pay for a remanufactured engine with a warranty from Jasper Engines. You might check with them.
Also, you didn't mention if that $1800 included head work.

Best wishes for whatever you do!
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:16 am »
While there is always a benefit from having an engine overhauled by a machine shop, cost is surely a factor.
In a nutshell; if money was not an issue, I would say have the shop rebuild it and give you a guarantee on their work.
But we know it is costly, so an engine from a running car is probably the more economic way to go.
Once the transplant is done, the donor car can bring in a few $$ as junk or be sold also.
Just my 2 cents.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:36 am »
I'm wondering why the GTP doesn't have a title.  Car has a lein?  Stolen? Sounds unusual for a relatively late model car.  Even if the engine is in top condition, you will have great difficulty in disposing of the chassis without having the title.  No law abiding scrap yard will take it, so it just sits in your driveway or garage.  If you check out Jasper Engines, also check Groomes in Nashville for comparison.  I found them to be cheaper than Jasper. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:58 am »
I missed the "No Title" part.
Good catch Charlie.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:49 am »
It's possible the car has been totaled in a side or rear end collision, so it wouldn't have a title, but a Parts Only Bill of Sale.  If that were the case, it might be worthwhile.  If it's hit in the front end, though, I'd do a very thorough inspection to be sure none of the engine, especially the crankshaft pullies were hit. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »
I talked with Don about the GTP. He said that when the owner got the title back from the lender, after paying it off, that there was a typo in the VIN. One character. He said it can be corrected, but he isn't sure it's worth the trouble.
(I tried to tell him that the engine and tranny would be a natural for the Formula that he recently bought, but he said something about having to sleep in it if he did that. ;)  )