Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Engine out service  (Read 15879 times)

JORAMA57

• View Profile
Engine out service
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
I'm just 2 months into my 1st Fiero (88 GT) and I have enjoyed cleaning, polishing, screwing bolts & nuts, refinished the original wheels, new tires, replaced 3rd brake light bulb with LED bar and blinking device (looks great), getting ready to do a full replacement of light bulbs to LED, have a set of Eibach 1" drop lowering springs that need to be installed (previous owner replaced struts and shocks) and now I need to address small oil leaks. The car has 55k miles and I have this wild idea of dropping the engine and while out clean and detail engine bay, replace insulation with more efficient material, replace water pump, have original alternator rebuilt, replace valve cover gaskets, oil pan and trans. pan gasket (car is auto) and as many gaskets and hoses as possible. But I would love to get feedback as to what else to do without getting in to the interior of the engine. Any secrets on how to remove the engine or tricks will be appreciated. A friend of mine has a lift and a ton of professional tools so that won't be an issue. Just wondering if I should replace the head gasket and the exhaust gaskets also.  I live in SW Florida and I will drive the car to Georgia and hope to do it around the time that the club meets in November. Thanks for your time and you can rest assure that every bit of advise will be appreciated. ;D

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engine out service
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the head gaskets, unless there's obvious signs of leaking. Or if you really want to see what's in there.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:03 pm »
Agreed.  Probably even the exhaust manifold gaskets will remain good, and why take the chance of breaking off a manifold stud and adding to work and time involved.  If you're breaking the trans loose from the engine, I would recommend replacing the rear main seal.  If removing the pan to replace the pan gasket, consider getting an oil pump and pickup for a 93 thru 95 Camaro or Firebird 3.4 and installing it.  It's a higher volume pump.  Only mod you will need is to notch out the lower pan baffle for clearance. 

When you drop it, remove the struts as an integral part of the cradle and suspension.  Detach them from the top where they attach to the body at the top of the strut towers.  The total suspension will stay in place.  That way you won't affect the alignment.  Pay attention to the orientation of the parts you remove.  While it's out, if you have reason to remove the axle shafts from the hubs, DO NOT roll the cradle around on the wheels with the axle shafts removed.  You will destroy the bearings in the hubs and you won't know it until it's all back together and you drive it. 

While everything's out, take a picture of Standing In The Engine Bay.  And though many have done it, it isn't recommended to lift the car up by the trunk latch loop.  Some have placed the front wheels on ramps then used a floor jack with a steel bar across the rear subframe to lift the car up high enough.  Raydar, I believe has a little different method, so if he doesn't chime in, maybe send him a PM and ask.  TopNotch has also pulled several, as well as CowsPatoot.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:24 am »
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

JORAMA57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:18 pm »
I'm writing all this stuff down as fast as I can. Please keep it coming and thanks for everyone's time.  :)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:52:07 am »
I made a video on removing a Fiero engine using basic tools you'd find around your garage with the exception of an engine hoist. If you're looking for a visual guide this might help you some. I can get an engine out of a Fiero in a little over 3 hours.
For some reason I can't figure out how to embed videos so here is the YouTube link. 8)

Removing the V-6 engine from a Pontiac Fiero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLg3X-bdM_0

How to install a rear main seal (incase you decide to take that suggestion while the engine is out)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUBJYJVMYcg

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:54:33 am »
How to Remove a 2.8 V6 Engine from a Pontiac FIero step-by-step

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:55:47 am »
How to install a rear main seal