Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Outer window seal  (Read 20439 times)

WV Mike

• View Profile
Outer window seal
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
Started to replace the outer window seal. Bought the universal ones from JC Whitney. I'll post some pictures of how they turn out once I'm done. Here is the part that I bought:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/fairchild-industries-glass-weatherstrip-seal/p3039069.jcwx?skuId=225817&&filterid=u0

JC Whitney SKU #: JCW-819751.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Outer window seal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:42 pm »
If you can, take some pictures of the steps along the way and any modifications you have to make.  Do you have Rodney's Dew Wipe Tool to help in removal of the old seal? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:24:56 am »
D'ont have his tool. Bought similar USAF tool. But it is not working due to too much rust. Tried P B blaster also. Remove outer door skin. I used a dremel tool to cut the back off of the screws and drilled out the screws. Cut the seal to size. I am hoping to have it done for one side later this afternoon.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
I've found that a wood wedge that's used for adjusting and setting household doors and windows frames works well for exerting pressure against the tool by jamming it down between the window and tool.  It protects the window while keeping the tool bit from slipping out of the screw head. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
I used a sparkle knife wedged between glass and drill bit. I couldn't find my wood wedges and this worked.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:19:48 pm »
I used Gorilla glue to put on new felt on that I bought at Lowes. It took a few hours for the glue to set and hold. So, I'm hoping that I should finish it in a few days. I work 12 hour shifts the next 2 days and won't  have time til then.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:54:28 pm »
Here is a picture of the universal seal cut to fit the Fiero and the original seal below it taken apart.

Here is the new seal.

And here it is being installed.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:48 pm »
Now I'm going to replace the inner window seals. I found that JCW-369355 for a 1990 Chevy Silverado truck is suppose to work. I'll let everyone know once I'm done.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Can you detail for us what modifications you needed to do?  Special tools needed, time involved, etc.  What's the cost savings against other available dew wipes when you factor in your modification labor? 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:47:21 pm »
I actually started replacing my outer dew wipes today and did a video step-by-step. I got as far as removing everything but the video is on hold for the moment because I have to order an outer door handle. I ordered the the dew wipes and the handle from the Fiero Store but didn't get the handle. Once it comes in I'll finish the video. I use the tool from Rodney Rickman. I can't do it without his tool. The real mystery is how to change those inner window brushes without removing tthe glass.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
I always loosen them when replacing the dew wipes, but I'm careful not to loosen enough that they drop because I've heard they're a real booger to get back in place.  I wonder if it would be possible to use a magnetic pickup to push them back up into place.  I'll have to try a practice removal and replacement of the inside pads next time I visit the pull-a-part yard. 

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 10:11:17 am »
Can you detail for us what modifications you needed to do?  Special tools needed, time involved, etc.  What's the cost savings against other available dew wipes when you factor in your modification labor?

For the outer window seals, I paid $19.45 each with free shipping from JCWhitney. And, for the inner window seals, I paid $18.10 each with free shipping from JCWhitney. Plus, you can always find Promo codes for JCWhitney and save a few more dollars. For the outer window seals, all I had to do was cut them to the same shape as the originals. I used a gray sharpie marker to trace the out line, used a dremel tool to cut to shape, drilled screw holes, and riveted on the other removable parts as my picture shows. I bought the felt from Lowes for $4.17 plus tax, which I cut to shape and glued with gorilla glue to replace the old felt. Here is a link to the felt I used:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54164-255-4740095N_0__?productId=3034727&Ntt=felt&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfelt&facetInfo=

I already had the tools, glue, and rivets. So, if you have these already, then you can save a lot more over buying them from someone or some store on the internet. Overall, I'd say you save about 50% at least if you have the tools already and the time to make them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:14:56 am by SC Mike »

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:12:32 am »
I actually started replacing my outer dew wipes today and did a video step-by-step. I got as far as removing everything but the video is on hold for the moment because I have to order an outer door handle. I ordered the the dew wipes and the handle from the Fiero Store but didn't get the handle. Once it comes in I'll finish the video. I use the tool from Rodney Rickman. I can't do it without his tool. The real mystery is how to change those inner window brushes without removing tthe glass.

That would be great to have a step by step video.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:47 am »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 12:03:11 pm »
I always loosen them when replacing the dew wipes, but I'm careful not to loosen enough that they drop because I've heard they're a real booger to get back in place.  I wonder if it would be possible to use a magnetic pickup to push them back up into place.  I'll have to try a practice removal and replacement of the inside pads next time I visit the pull-a-part yard.

I guess they could be a pain to put back into place if you didn't have the right tools to reach down there and fish them back up. I didn't have much of a problem. I have a little dental type pick with a curved end that I've used to stick down into the bolt hole and pull them back up. I've even spun the brush around to see if I had a better chance at pulling it out backwards but that never worked either. Even after removing the outer dew wipe and pulling the window as far out as I could possibly get it I just can't get enough tilt on the inner brush to pull it out. Mine aren't really in bad shape but I bought new ones since I was already there but I've come to the conclusion that my inner brushes are staying in there for now.