Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Motor Trend video pits the 1967 Corvair Convertible vs. 1986 Pontiac Fiero  (Read 15804 times)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
Thought it was an interesting video to share. I don't quite agree with some of the final tally's and I think they should have used an 88GT or formula with a v6 and not the Iron Duke. Had they gone with a v6 version the Fiero would have prevailed hands down. It was cool though that Motor Trend found a reason to bring a Fiero into the spotlight  8)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
Re: Motor Trend video pits the 1967 Corvair Convertible vs. 1986 Pontiac Fiero
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »
Also thought it was cool that DRIVE did a segment on How to Turn a Fiero Into a Track Car. I'm just a little disappointed that you have to pay to see the whole review but I like the positive feedback from Matt Farah's first time behind the wheel of a Fiero.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »
Is this the same car they put the cameras all over and did a video?  I saw that one a while back but I forgot what car it was.  I do remember seeing the same guy in a video with this car, though.  Maybe I have two of them mixed together. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:44 am »
It could be the same videos your thinking of. He does do some rally driving with several GoPro's edited together. After watching that DRIVE video I did happen to stumble on his YouTube channel and of course subscribed ;) Here's a link to his videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuHa3ER-L8CToZsRkHjTOOA
He also has an interesting website as well that has a few how-to ideas and a breakdown of how he has his car set up for autocrossing. Some pretty interesting stuff. Here is his website:
http://steventsnyder.com/

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:24 pm »
I didn't see the video in either link, but I'm pretty sure it was the same guy and car.  They had cameras on the doors, looking to the rear and to the front.  They also had a chase car filming.  The TDC engine is a very impressive engine, especially in it's rpm range. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
I'm not very familiar with the TDC engine. It looks like you can get some pretty good power out if it and his car looks like he built it right. I only wish that Matt Farah got to drive one with a litter more pep like a 3800sc. I think he's have a who new level of respect. If I was Matt I'd wanna take Darkhorizon's turbo 3800 for a spin. Heck, even if I wasn't Matt Farah I wanna take that car out for a spin!

...or this guys turbo 3800 against the Ferrari killer GTR. Sure the Fiero didn't beat him but MAN did he give that GTR a run for the money. I bet the guy in the GTR was shocked when he looked in the rear view mirror and didn't see the Fiero until he looked out the side window ;)

I wasn't aware that the 3800 engines could be beefed up to such crazy horse power. It looks like that will be my next engine swap. I may be posting questions on that topics sometime in the near future...

I probably should have just named this topic Fiero videos  8)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
None of our current people have done a 3800.  You may be of more help than finding help here.  Flyboy81 who's a registered forum member built his Formula with a 3800SC that was supposed to be < > 400 hp.  He just had initial problems of keeping everything together under full power.  Robbie of the East Tennessee Fiero Club told me that the car would burn both back wheels at 60 mph. 

I think the TDC engine has a pretty high rpm range and produced 210 hp at about 5200 rpm, so it would probably go 6000 to 6500 for the red line.  Torque was up about 225 lb-ft, I think.  I don't know how much goodies you can find for the engine, but from what I read, the timing belt is a major job and even changing the cockpit side plugs is a problem because of how they are placed down inside the valve covers.  It requires either lowering the cradle, or at a minimum, tipping it in order to get a spark plug wrench and extension into the hole because the hole sits right under the bottom edge of the rear glass. 

The 3800 is more plentiful and even the 3800 NA starts at about the same hp as the TDC engine.  The 3800 SC is 240 hp without any mods.  Lots of aftermarket stuff for that engine and they are more plentiful.