Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Car Running Very Rich by Pete From Tennessee  (Read 20103 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Car Running Very Rich by Pete From Tennessee
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:38 pm »
Moved from General Fiero Chat for Pete Matos

...Quote from: Fierofool on January 03, 2013, 10:17:25 PM

Check the 2 fuel injector fuses.  Bank 1 and Bank 2.  They're marked TBI   Inj 1  and TBI   Inj  2.  If you're getting a strong unburned gas smell from the exhaust bad enough to burn your nose and eyes when you stand behind it, I'd check the Coolant Temperature Switch just above the water pump.

Fierofool,
    Hey man I have not been on this forum for some time now.  I popped in here this evening and saw this thread. As you may or may not know I am trying to fix my 85GT I got here and it is running like crap similar to what Chaz's car is doing here.  It SOUNDS like the engine is missing but you can drive it around and it occasionally will kinda clear out and run but mostly it just sounds like crap.  You mentioned the coolant temperature switch, what will be the result if this switch is bad or not hooked up because my car will choke you out pretty quick if you stand behind it when it is running.  Do you have a picture of this switch, there is a large black cylindrical electrical part around that area on mine that was unhooked but I plugged it back in and there was no change.  Also I know that you do the refurbishment of the headlight motors are you still doing that and what do you charge for doing a set for me?  I need to post some things in the want ads here as I am looking for some parts needed for my car.

I am chronicling the buildup in  my thread on Pennocks which started with an odd name, it is called " Looking for input on my next fiero project".   I am hoping that I can email Cliff Pennock and have him change the name here soon, I'd like to call it something else LOL..  Anyways I have done a complete compression check on the engine and got some decent numbers and I THINK I have it timed right, it runs too good to be too far out and I timed it with the coil wire so I could see the difference between 1 and 4 pistons.... It is right on 10BTDC now..  It just runs like crap and I am out of ideas here, if I cannot find a cause I will have to tear off the intake and heads and see what the hell is wrong inside.  I can post a video of it running.  I drove it around quite a bit yesterday and it feels like it wants to go...  Just something stopping it.  I read about the damn cold start injector issue but I am  not sure what to do to bypass it really.  I guess I could just unplug it but I might have to remove the disty again to get to the darn wire.  It is kinda tight in there. Any advice here would be most appreciated.  I'd love to be able to drive this baby and come down to meet you guys for monthly meets again LOL...peace

Pete
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:10:14 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Car Running Very Rich by Pete From Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »
On the passenger end of the engine are several sensors.  The big cylindrical upright just to the left of the battery is the oil pressure sending unit.  The horizontally positioned cylindrical object is the EGR Solenoid.  The Coolant Temperature Sensor is located above the water pump and below the thermostat housing neck.  You will need to remove the EGR solenoid for easier access.

The CTS screws into a reducer which in turn screws into the lower intake manifold.  It's positioned horizontally with the terminal end pointing toward the passenger side of the car.  The CTS looks almost identical to the Gauge sending unit located in the left end of the head, near the ignition coil, except that the harness connection is oval shaped rather than round.  Once the EGR solenoid is unbolted by it's single mounting bolt, it's readily visible.  The harness connection is identical to the Thermac or Intake Air Temp sensor located in the air filter canister. 

If the CTS defaults to the cold side, which it usually does, it will cause the ECM to pulse the injectors longer, thinking the engine is cold.  The result can be a very eye-stinging exhaust.  You can unplug it and see if it improves, but if you do, it will set a code.  It seldom sets a code when it goes bad, which makes it more difficult to pinpoint. 

I forgot about the headlight repair question.  I get $30 each plus parts and shipping for Gen. 1 motors.  Gear sets are $20 each for the plastic gears.  I get them from The Fiero Store.  You can provide them and I warrant my labor, or if I purchase them, I also cover gear failure for the first 90 days. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:34:49 pm by Fierofool »

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PetefromTn

• Fiero junkie getting back off the wagon LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:37 am »
Fierofool,
    Hey thanks for the explanation, I am gonna check it out. Probably just unplug the sucker first to see if that changes anything. Wish you were closer maybe you could help me figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing LOL..  On the headlight buckets the price sounds fair but I am gonna have to probably drive down for a club meet or something and give them to you and then pick them up on another club meeting or something because shipping these both ways will not be cheap I think.  I actually had taken apart my last ones and was ready to follow buddy craigs video for rebuilding them but I had talked to Robsfieros and he said he has some already rebuilt he would swap me for so I took him up on it.  I think he charged me $100.00 for both of them and he even installed them into my car when I drove down there for the club meet.  I guess those were the good old days now LOL.... peace

Pete

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:00:13 pm »
Shipping each way is under $20.  I think I shipped JohnyRottin's to him for less than that and Kathryn's went to her for about $12, I think. 

So, for 2 headlights rebuilt, $60
Two Gear sets, $40-my cost not counting shipping to me from The Fiero Store.
Shipping to me and back to you, each direction $15

Total--$130 with a 90 day warranty on labor.  Gear warranty per Fiero Store's policy. 

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:47 am »
Doh I guess I was thinking the whole headlamp assembly and not simply the motors themselves  would be expensive.  I will see if I can get the funds together as I need the lights working but right now I am still trying to sort out my running issues. If the car would run smooth I could move onto other things in KY project here....there's tons of little niggling issues in this particular car unfortunately that need addressed.  Peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:18 am »
Check all of your electrical grounds. Start with the one between the engine and battery. Check for continuity between the engine and frame. Check from the ECM to the chassis.

When was the last time you had the distributor cap off? Check for condensation in the cap and check for tiny rust 'hairs' on the trigger ring.

And this may sound weird but...check the 4-pin connector where it plugs into the ICM. Look for corrosion or connector pins push back inside the connector.

You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:59 am »
Roger,
      Hey man thanks for the tips.   Actually I already went thru the distributor and have done a complete TuneUp with new wires cap rotor plugs etc.  I did a compression check and everything seems okay with the engine. It actually runs but sounds like crap and I have been tinkering with it foe awhile now trying to get it running good.  I will try to check those grounds and the connector etc.   Thanks man....peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »
Is this Wes's old car Pete?

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
Yup sure is....why ya got any suggestions?  Like I said it is running and driving just sounds like crap. Hows your Turbo build coming along?  Have not seen or heard from ya in awhile.   Peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »
Just another shot in the dark but, have you made certain that the plug wires on the firewall side are seated properly?

Kaka occurs.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 08:09:46 pm »
Yeah man been all over the TuneUp stuff here. Brand new plugs wires, cap,rotor,ICM,dusty cleaned Ans pickup coil replaced.  I do need a passenger side engine mount mines shot... Finally got it registered today tho so she's at least legal to drive LOL.  Maybe if I drive it some more I can sort out the issues easier.     Right now I'd pay someone a bit just to help me get it sorted out but don't wanna take it to a mechanic and get screwed into the ground.  It was actually kinda fun driving down to the courthouse today to pickup the tags.  Car needs lots of little things but it is not too terrible. Peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »
I had suggested that Wes get the compression checked, I think it's got a valve train issue or lifter issue. 

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »
Already did a compression check, it was decent considering the age of the car.  I am wondering if the can sprocket is off a tooth or something.  It actually runs but sounds like crap. I would LOVE to get it sorted here so I can enjoy driving it more.  Any help or ideas you have would be appreciated. Have you been under the Hood on this one before?    Gimme a shout sometime I hope to be able to hang out with some Fiero folks from TN with it soon...peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
 what was the compression on each cylinder?   it could have the cam off a tooth but he said the guy that put it back together says he had it right on...   who knows.   there are only so many possibilities here.   the fact that it would backfire once it got to high rpm reminded me more of a cam being wiped

PetefromTn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »
Actually I never said it backfired at higher rpm really where did you get that info from? I'd love to speak with whoever it is that did work on the car because I have no idea of the history or any parts that went into it.  Honestly it runs too well and holds idle too well for the cam to be off a tooth which is why I did not take it apart already.   There is definitely something amiss and so far I have not been able to figure it out.   I am usually pretty good with cars but this one has me stumped pretty good.  If I cannot get it sorted soon  I may be forced to pull the motor and get another one for it. What do you mean by the cam being wiped exactly?    Again any information wuld be most helpful.  I am actually driving the car most days now since I got it registered but I really wish it would run right.   Peace

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Maryville, Tennessee