Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Conestoga wagon wheels  (Read 14522 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
Conestoga wagon wheels
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:58:51 pm »
Rims are getting so big and tires are getting so thin, it appears that wagon wheels are making a comeback. This idea dawned on me today while looking at an advert. I like wheels up to 17-18", but too much is too much.
I also hate when people walk across my lawn and everybody mumbles when they say things.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Conestoga wagon wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »
Rims are getting so big and tires are getting so thin, it appears that wagon wheels are making a comeback. This idea dawned on me today while looking at an advert. I like wheels up to 17-18", but too much is too much. 

Like the Mustang you and Paul saw in DeKalb County?

I also hate when people walk across my lawn and everybody mumbles when they say things.

??????

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »
I had to put my comments in your post.  I can't separate them when posting from my phone.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »
Yup, just like that mustang.

That must be where we're heading. Those guys must-have been ahead of the curve. Steam-rollers.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:56:27 pm by f85gtron »
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:47:16 am »
I've been running 17s for years. 18s are pretty much the largest I'd ever go, especially on a Fiero.
I run 18s on my G6. They look way smaller on the car than I would have expected, though.
Unfortunately, good 18" tires are rather spendy, compared to 17s.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
Not just a looks issue.  The cars handle terribly.  I'm sure the power is adversely affected, and the excess strain on the car can't be good.  Connestoga wheels were actually worse; if you let them set in water, they swelled.  Also, the hubs were a pain.  The large wheels had several purposes, however: no flats, go over bumps better, can sleep under the wagon, clearance over objects (rocks, grass, tree trunks), and creek crossing (getting a loaded wagon over the bank--not entering/exiting the river).  They had drawbacks of rough ride, swelling, bad handling, only good at low speeds, tire changes are a pain, and can't be used on smooth, hard surfaces (ice, concrete, etc).

For that Mustang, where do they carry the spare?  A donut spare won't work.  Heck, how much do those tire/wheels weigh?  The weight alone must be a drain on fuel mileage.

I can't tell you how many cars I eliminated from consideration when I saw the wheels.

I, too, don't like people walking across my lawn.  We have some people in my neighborhood that walk any old place, and leave a grail of wrappers, empty drink containers, chewed gum, etc behind them.  I complained, so they graveled my front lawn.  I had it on camera, so they were stuck with the removal bill.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:16:50 pm by tshark »