Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Todays Meeting  (Read 16361 times)

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
Todays Meeting
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:26:20 am »
Well 5 People Showed Up At Todays Meeting.
We Discussed Disbanding The Club Due To Lack Of Interest, Run For The Hills, Appointing Daryl To Take His Dads Place On The Board, And A Few Minor Things.
Next Saturday Is The Trial Run For The Hills. We Need Volunteers To Help With
The Timing For Both The Scenic And The Quicker Routes.
The Saturday After That We Will Be Working On The Project Car.   
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Meeting
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »
Well 5 People Showed Up At Todays Meeting.
We Discussed Disbanding The Club Due To Lack Of Interest, ...   

What exactly do you mean by disband?  Is the meaning to cease monthly meetings that do not involve an activity like Run For the Hills or the Warrior Project?  Atlanta is just too far from Augusta for a lunch meeting to discuss Fieros, no matter how enjoyable.

If the meaning is the classical version of disband, as in cease to exist, I have to ask why?  The Club is doing parades, RFtH, Warrior Project, picnics, and at least one BBQ foray. After all, we've already paid the expensive part for membership.  If this means you're all cleaning out your garages, I'd like a silver '88 GT with a 3800SC, manual transmission (ideally 6-speed), AC, T-tops although convertible would be better, and Mr. Mike's seats with speakers in the headrest.  Feel free to donate your car to my garage.  I'll kick out my wife's Mustang.

Guys, you have a good club.  Enjoy it.

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »
I missed the meeting due to an overheating issue. I texted Charlie that I wasn't going to make it. (Way after the fact, I realized that he might not be able to receive texts. Oh well....)

Charlie mentioned the "disbanding" to me, a couple of days ago.
What that means is that the "incorporation" would be dissolved. No reason for the club to stop meeting or sponsoring or participating in activities. Unless that's just what everyone wants. 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:11:17 pm »
What does being incorporated cost/get the club?

What does not being incorporated cost/get the club?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:14:10 pm »
Steve, I did get your text.  Darrel and Ron had already shown up and voiced the same problems in coming from out that way.  There were at least 3 problem areas on I-285 plus the area where the plane crashed. 

Steve is also correct in his analysis of 'disbanding.'  The club is incorporated under Georgia Laws of Incorporation and it's Charter.  The Charter requires 5 members of a Board of Directors and 3 Officers.  In the past several years we've had difficulty filling these positions.  There have been years when we had to beg people to be put their name in the hat for a position.  Though it's acceptable for persons to hold positions on both boards, it's better that the positions be occupied by different persons.  Since the Board has the authority to remove an Officer for cause, if you have 3 officers holding 3 of the Board positions, you can see that there might be a problem.

Attendance at meetings and events has dwindled in the past few years to a core group of plus/minus 10 people.  Eight Board and Officers paying $25 a year makes it difficult for the club to survive on just $200 a year.  There are other members who help bring the members in good standing up to maybe 15 people but I think anyone can see that it's still difficult to maintain the website, pay yearly registration fees to the Secretary of State's Office or put on an event with plaques and trophies or even to buy flowers for one of our members.  Associate (non-dues paying) members often help out by contributing their time or parts and that's most appreciated, too. 

We have traditionally raised money at Run For The Hills by raffling items donated by auto parts stores, members and Fiero Parts Vendors.  Because there were so few willing to take on the responsibility of handling this aspect of fund raising, we didn't contact major vendors and just raffled items our members brought along. 

By disbanding, we would give up our charter and dissolve the Corporation.  All the club assets would be turned over to a not-for-profit entity.  The club courtesy car would be sold under the agreement I have with the club, the Fastback Formula would be sold, EGR adapter kits, and all the donated items carried in the Rescue Wagon.  The money and that which is in our checking account would be given to a charity.  At that point, anyone could incorporate the club name.

Meetings would then just become an informal get together whenever and wherever two or more persons would want to get together for something.  I would prefer that if that happens, it would continue to be at the same time and place each month.  A regular meeting place is best. 

I would like to have all the Board Members, Officers and as many members as possible present to discuss this before any decision is made.  I think everyone, including non-members, should have some input into our decision.  Maybe we can get a few more at the June meeting. 

Incorporation:  The name of the club is registered to a corporation.  The club is a legal entity just like a person and has all the legal rights of a person.  It can own, buy and sell assets and initiate contracts.  It can sue and be sued.  It has a birth at the time of incorporation and a death at the time of un-incorporation.  When the club puts on an event, the members have some degree of protection from being sued should someone get injured or killed unless it's a willful or negligent act of an individual.  The club is the one that is liable unless it's the result of actions unrelated to the event, like having an accident on the way home because they stopped and had a few drinks.  A few years ago, the Peach State Kappa Club (Solstice and Skye) had their yearly event at Fontana Village and Tail of The Dragon.  After the evening dinner, one of the men and a woman, after having a few drinks, decided to go back to The Dragon.  While returning to the hotel, he crashed, killing his passenger and severely injuring himself.  The unincorporated club organizers could be held liable for that because the alcohol was consumed at the organized evening dinner.  The Georgia Chapter no longer exists or meet. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:11 pm »
...When the club puts on an event, the members have some degree of protection from being sued should someone get injured or killed unless it's a willful or negligent act of an individual.  The club is the one that is liable unless it's the result of actions unrelated to the event, like having an accident on the way home because they stopped and had a few drinks. 

Since we're discussing this, I'll put this out there.
This has been one of the reasons that I have not been interested in holding a place on the board, or an officer position. In this day and age, if an accident happens, the prevailing attitude is "sue everybody". If the club becomes liable, it seems to me that the officers would be "behind the eightball", as it were.

According to at least one person to whom I've spoken (this, when my wife formed a corporation, a few years ago) the fact that "the club" would be the responsible party would be of little consequence if the injured party decided to name the individuals, as well. Basically, they're going to go where the money is.

I might be wrong in my belief, and I would welcome someone proving it to me, if that's the case.
But (and with no disrespect meant toward any past or present members of our club) it's going to take someone with some legal background to convince me.
I tell people that I'm NOT cynical. Just experienced.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:10:59 pm »
When Ramon, Chuck and Paul incorporated the club, that was the reasoning, as I recall.  Only Paul McKibben remains in contact with the club.  He's still a business man and may be of some guidance.  I'll try to contact him. 

That's consistent with what I remember of the 3 years of business law that I had in college, but we all know that laws change, and probably have in the 40 years since. 

Disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer but I know someone who once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:21:44 pm »
Thanks Charlie.
It's been a long time. I didn't remember who all had been involved, other than Chuck.

And, I should add, I'm certainly not campaigning for the club to be dis-incorporated. That was my only concern, other than (as was mentioned) the shortage of people available to fill all the slots.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:49:44 pm »
I don't want it disbanded, either but there's only so much that so few can accomplish.  Since Ramon left the club in '06, I have put in 9 hard years of trying to put together events that people have expressed interest in, only to have few, and in some instances the very ones that wanted a particular event, not show up.  I am one of those persons who has had to miss events that I put together but those were due to family health issues.

The bulk of the organization of events has been on the shoulders of just a few who stepped up.  I do understand that most of us have regular jobs and families that require our time.  Despite that, many of you have still jumped in and made the club and events successful. 

Greg and Sharon stepped up and took over last year's Run For The Hills.  Roger coordinated the event tshirts.  Each year Raydar has spearheaded the Sam Memmolo car show  http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=495.0  and the Boy Scout Charity Car Show.  Ron and Paul, not to be confused with Ron Paul, put together the Fiero Stripper Party and Shannon and Patty have hosted the annual cookout for the past 2 years. 

I do believe there's a higher degree of protection if we're incorporated than if we aren't.  As the legal agent for the club, I would be the first person, if any, that would be culpable. 

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:31:38 pm »
I also want the club to go on. If it had not been for Charlie, I would never known that the club existed . I have met many great people here and learned a lot about our cars. It has been frustrating in the least to try to get new members to join us, to help put together an event.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.