Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 84 windshield wiper issues...delay vs non-delay wiring  (Read 15376 times)

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
84 windshield wiper issues...delay vs non-delay wiring
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »
The situation...
The convertible is blowing fuses on the windshield wipers. I have tracked the problem down to a short in a wire in the steering column. This is my opportunity to fix multiple issues at once by swapping the column from a parts car. It will give me an auto column like it should have, it will fix my horn issue, and it will fix the wiper issue. The problem is, the parts car has delay wipers (which I wouldn't mind adding to the convertible). I can see the wiper motor wiring is the same, but haven't had a chance to climb under the column of the parts car yet (gotta fog it for spiders first...lot of black widows around here).

Here is a portion of the only wiring diagram I can find for it...

The blue is the non-delay wiper switch, the red is the delay wiper switch, the purple is the module in question.  Where is this located?  Logic would dictate that it is under the dash somewhere near the base of the steering column, but GM never was known for using logic in their designs.  Am I correct in assuming this swap will be as simple as taking that module along with the steering column?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 84 windshield wiper issues...delay vs non-delay wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:20 pm »
Since it's an 84 I can't guarantee this info applies.

Aerodonamic converted the 88 from 2 speed wipers to delay wipers by:

A.  Replacing the column with one equipped with a delay stalk and wiper switch.
B.  Replacing the 2 speed motor with one designed for variable speed. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Re: 84 windshield wiper issues...delay vs non-delay wiring
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the 84 delay wipers were different.  I didn't think about the motor being different as well.  That won't be too difficult, I can just steal that out of the parts car too.